Computer making squeaky noise only when playing a certain game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andythefoot

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
For some reason, only when I play the sims 3, my computer makes a constant squeaky noise that changes pitches when it is loading something and is constant at one pitch when it is not. So I'm assuming that it is probably related to the HDD? Any idea why this could be happening or what could be causing it and if it could be a sign of an issue?

Solution
your frame rates are too high for the monitor, check the monitor refresh rate normally 50-60Hz and set your frame rate to match, this should stop the noise from the capacitors on you GPU!

ondra30

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
It could be PSU issue when getting overloaded, other than that it might be CPU/GPU whining. But I'd bet on the PSU as it happened to me as well. Any chance you could record that noise?

Jamie_b

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
your frame rates are too high for the monitor, check the monitor refresh rate normally 50-60Hz and set your frame rate to match, this should stop the noise from the capacitors on you GPU!

Solution

andythefoot

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
I don't really have a means of easily recording it, but I think it may be the gpu or psu because the sound only occurs when the game is being displayed on the monitor. So like I can have the game open, but tabbed out and it won't make the noise. I did sync the frames of the game and monitor at 60, but that didn't really change anything. What I don't get is why would it only make the sound when playing the sims 3, or at least only loudly when playing that game. Because when I check gpu usage it says around 50% or so and I've run stress tests that take it up to 100% with no noise at all. Any more thoughts on why and if I should be concerned with this noise?

andythefoot

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Ok so actually I just got a program to monitor FPS and it's at 4000 for the sims, but I can't seem to change it right now, but anyway my question now is still should I be concerned with the squealing/is it a sign that damage is being done?

Edit: And the pitch varies with the FPS

CitricDrop

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

That's coil whine from your GPU... No way to fix that lol

Nitro45

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

James I could kiss you! One game would constantly be squeaking when playing and was driving me bonkers. Every other solution had to do with my fans going or too much dust and I knew that wasn't the issue! I literally just made an account to thank you. So thank you!

Reactions: Failofishy

distortality

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

thank you so much Jamie_b!

Aug 22, 2019

thank you so much Jamie_b!
Hey there! I think I have the same problem...
Sadly I didn't have an option to lower down my monitor refresh rate, so I tried an external program to lower down the FPS, but the problem didn't solved at all...

I have a video that shows the weird sounds that this game makes.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQrk22pYdtI&feature=youtu.be

Please help me! I don't know what to do, I've tried everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.