[SOLVED] Computer making weird noises in games

Doomer3003

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello,
My girlfriend's computer makes weird noises when playing demanding games. I tried finding what makes these noises and couldn't. It doesn't look like it's the fans or the hard drive. It makes the noise when she's playing on her SSD and when she's playing on her HDD. It stops instantly making the noise when she alt+tab from the game she is playing.
Could anybody help us please?

This is her setup:
CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB
MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE 8G
Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB DDR4 3000
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W
Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III
Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200 RPM

Here is a video of the sound it makes.
View: https://youtu.be/rp-gfYB09vE

Thanks !

Solution
It doesn't look like it's the fans
How are you sure? Have you tried changing some of the fans if you have spare ones around? I had to remove 3 fans from my PC in the last years and to substitute them with something with higher quality. Longtime/heavy usage or low quality is generally the reason for such thing. I think I hear something creaky and while I 'm not completely sure whether this is some normal sound that one can hear if going too close around there, it somehow sounds like the thing that I heard from the 3 fans that I had to throw away.
when playing demanding games
It stops instantly making the noise when she alt+tab from the game she is playing.
Mb something related to the GPU/cooling there? Do you have...
It doesn't look like it's the fans
How are you sure? Have you tried changing some of the fans if you have spare ones around? I had to remove 3 fans from my PC in the last years and to substitute them with something with higher quality. Longtime/heavy usage or low quality is generally the reason for such thing. I think I hear something creaky and while I 'm not completely sure whether this is some normal sound that one can hear if going too close around there, it somehow sounds like the thing that I heard from the 3 fans that I had to throw away.
when playing demanding games
It stops instantly making the noise when she alt+tab from the game she is playing.
Mb something related to the GPU/cooling there? Do you have a spare GPU to try with? Like if you put your GPU in your GF's PC? Have you measured GPU & CPU temps with MSI Afterburner or alternative?

Last edited:
Solution
May 26, 2021
Hello,
My girlfriend's computer makes weird noises when playing demanding games. I tried finding what makes these noises and couldn't. It doesn't look like it's the fans or the hard drive. It makes the noise when she's playing on her SSD and when she's playing on her HDD. It stops instantly making the noise when she alt+tab from the game she is playing.
Could anybody help us please?

This is her setup:
CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB
MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE 8G
Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB DDR4 3000
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W
Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III
Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200 RPM

Here is a video of the sound it makes.
View: https://youtu.be/rp-gfYB09vE

Thanks !

My PC also does something similar, but it doesn't produce the same sound, it's the moment I load up a demanding game, like perhaps MSFS2020, even at the splash screen where it's loading, I get a high pitched sort of buzzing or whistling sound, it's not coil whine from the PSU, because whenever it happens I put my ear to next to the PSU (with the side case panel on) and can hear nothing but the whirring of the fan, when I move up to where the motherboard is mounted, and put my ear next to where the CPU and the 240mm NZXT Kraken X53 is, I hear the sound. It's almost as if the CPU is vibrating slightly under load, or the CPU cooler fans are making too much noise. This only happens when I load into games and doesn't occur under normal usage.

I'd be surprised if it's my GPU, i'm on a 3070 with a triple fan setup, the fans only come on when they need to, and don't spin 24/7 when the system is in use like most other GPU's, when i'm just browsing the net or watching sports online the fans are idle, but the card is clearly working as I power two monitors off of it.

I've also checked the CPU temps when under load in various games, and it never goes above 70 degrees Celsius, typically it gets to an average when gaming of about 65 degrees, under 70-90% load on the CPU.

It's a very recent system, with an 11th gen CPU, 650 Watt power supply, I do sometimes wonder as the power supply is made by Inwin, now I know it's not the best brand and i'll be changing it soon for a Corsair, but it so far hasn't had any issues with power delivery or caused any instability, freezing, etc in the system, so I doubt it's PSU related.

TRENDING THREADS