Computer massively overheating: likely a RAM issue

CelticBorealis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hi all,

I have a really, really weird issue that's been going on for a couple of years now (ever since I upgraded to Windows 10). It's a little hard to explain, so please ask for clarity if I'm not clear.

I have two sticks of 4 MB RAM (CPU AMD 6300). My current routine (for two years) has been to unplug/re-insert a stick of RAM EVERY time I start up.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 my computer suddenly began spectacularly overheating for no obvious reason, resulting in constant crashes. I posted it here, and upon people's advice I replaced the GPU, PSU and motherboard - none of these were faulty (resulting in an expensive fix that didn't work and spares I don't need). I also took it to the local repair shop and they told me nothing was wrong (and charged me £100 - seriously, this issue has cost me a small fortune and I wish I was still using Windows 7). I later discovered the workaround by accident (but it's still a pain).

Let's say I have both RAM sticks in and I turn on my computer in the morning. The computer will overheat and crash (monitoring the temperature with CPUID HW monitor), irrespective of what I'm doing (even if it's just idling).

So what I do before switching it on is remove a stick of RAM. That brings up a menu upon start up which says something like, 'Memory has changed. What do you want to do?'

I press F2 ('use default settings'). Then I can login and my computer works perfectly. I can play games, video edit and do other high-intensity tasks: no problem.

I finish what I'm doing and shut down.

Next time I start up, I HAVE to re-insert that RAM stick I removed last time so it brings up the menu and I press F2 - works perfectly. If I start up the computer as I left it when I shut down, it will overheat and crash.

I do this literally every time I turn on the computer, either adding or removing RAM. I can swap the RAM around - it doesn't matter what slot they go in. I'm confident it's not a hardware issue - I know how to get my computer working just fine, I'd just really rather leave both sticks in all the time without constantly swapping it out.

I'm posting it here again because I thought I'd inadvertently fixed it the other day. I had a different issue - a random number 92 stuck in the bottom right hand corner of my screen upon starting up. The computer wouldn't start up. I googled this and tried removing all my USB devices, and bizarrely this worked. I started up and logged in (after plugging back in all my USB devices).

I haven't swapped out my RAM for about five start ups now (currently running on my full 8 MB). This is great. However, it's Friday evening and I decided to go and play some games and, lo and behold, the computer is getting extraordinarily hot (85oC) immediately. I could play these games before and it wouldn't get hot (y'know, assuming I'd done my RAM swap trick). These are the same games - not particularly modern or high-intensity ones. I've experimented with old games like Age of Empires - i.e. games my computer should be able to run forever without breaking out in a sweat - and it's the same problem. It's not crashed yet, but I know something is wrong.

It's annoying me.

I'm open to trying anything. Like I said, it's weird and it's a little hard to explain. Would genuinely appreciate any advice.

Thank you to anyone who got to the bottom of this post (sorry it's so long).

- CB

Solution
That's quite a list of bizarre behavior. My first guess would be a bad motherboard. You might be able to fix it with a BIOS update (or downgrade as someone else suggested). Also check to make sure the CR2032 battery is good (still 3+ Volts). Motherboards can start acting weird when that battery gets low. The overheat problems also suggest a problem with the motherboard/BIOS as that's what controls the power states the CPU is allowed to use. It sounds like the CPU is being prevented from entering any of its power-saving states, thus running at full speed all the time. Unless you futz around with the memory before starting.

Instead of turning your computer on/off with the power button or Shutdown in Windows, what happens when you...

CelticBorealis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Just got normal fans on the case/motherboard/CPU. These have been perfectly adequate for all tasks - including doing intense video editing - since I built the machine. It's never gone above 50oC if I've done my RAM swap trick.

I don't know what's causing it. I only know that swapping out the RAM fixes it. Why that's the case I have no idea. I don't understand what's going on.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
What motherboard and memory do you have?
Is the memory on the compatibility list for the motherboard?
What voltage is the motherboard setting for the memory and memory controller when the issue happens?
Have you tried updating/downgrading the bios?

I find it weird that people suggested its a GPU or even a PSU issue, motherboard i can kind of understand.
If anything i would be replacing the memory first.

That's quite a list of bizarre behavior. My first guess would be a bad motherboard. You might be able to fix it with a BIOS update (or downgrade as someone else suggested). Also check to make sure the CR2032 battery is good (still 3+ Volts). Motherboards can start acting weird when that battery gets low. The overheat problems also suggest a problem with the motherboard/BIOS as that's what controls the power states the CPU is allowed to use. It sounds like the CPU is being prevented from entering any of its power-saving states, thus running at full speed all the time. Unless you futz around with the memory before starting.

Instead of turning your computer on/off with the power button or Shutdown in Windows, what happens when you unplug it, let it sit for 30 seconds, plug it back in, then power it on?

Computer not starting unless a certain USB device is unplugged is actually the least bizarre of the issues you've listed. I've seen that several times. Sometimes devices seem to send excessive voltage through the USB cable which can upset the motherboard. Unplugging all the USB cables and plugging them back in again (to different USB sockets) may in fact have solved your problem.

Solution