Question Computer maxed out with 2 applications running

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Hello!
First of all, specs:
i5-7600K
ASUS H170 PRO GAMING (I understand that it is the wrong chipset)
8GB DDR4 ADATA XPG
MSI GTX 1060
Corsair 650W

Here is the issue. Whenever I play a game or have an application open, my CPU and RAM consistently run in the high 80s to 90 percents. I don't see low frames in games, but big lag spikes and crashes. I only ever run Discord in the background, and I have checked the performance monitor for an outlying program that consumes the rest of my PCs recourses. Nothing. Only whatever game I am running and Discord. Could it be that I have a bad RAM stick? Or maybe the mismatched chipset? Thanks!

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
Windows 10 uses at least 4gb of RAM. Video games regularly take up 4-12gb of RAM. You need at least 16gb of RAM for a serious gaming PC nowadays. I personally have 32gb and regularly see games taking 8gb+ of RAM.
That makes sense, however my friends also have 8gb running on Win 10, and they don't experience the same issues.

If the OS reports and recognizes that there are 8gb of RAM and that is what is installed and you are experiencing no RAM related hardware fault issues then your RAM is not the issue. If Windows is reporting 80-90% RAM usage then that is what is being used. So either the "game", windows, or discord are using that RAM. What I would assume is happening is that the game you are playing has memory leaks.

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
If the OS reports and recognizes that there are 8gb of RAM and that is what is installed and you are experiencing no RAM related hardware fault issues then your RAM is not the issue. If Windows is reporting 80-90% RAM usage then that is what is being used. So either the "game", windows, or discord are using that RAM. What I would assume is happening is that the game you are playing has memory leaks.
OK, so I monitored my usage while in-game, and it looks like my CPU is the thing that is maxed when I'm not alt-tabbed. Is it the chipsets fault? Thanks

OK, so I monitored my usage while in-game, and it looks like my CPU is the thing that is maxed when I'm not alt-tabbed. Is it the chipsets fault? Thanks
I think It just comes down to the fact that 4 cores 4 threads just aren't enough for multitasking with games open. I just upgraded from a 3570k to a 3900x and it made a world of difference in that regard.

Reactions: Phaaze88

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
I think It just comes down to the fact that 4 cores 4 threads just aren't enough for multitasking with games open. I just upgraded from a 3570k to a 3900x and it made a world of difference in that regard.
That also probably doesn't help, except for the fact that my friends' rigs don't have has much processing power as mine, yet they don't encounter the same problems. Thanks for your help though!

conorfardad

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
ADATA in general is not a ram company I would go with. I was running i5-7600k 16gb ram with discord steam epic origin nzxt cam all open and it was never a issue while gaming. Using a 980ti as well so your video card isn’t all the different. Are you using one stick or two? Can anyone loan you a stick to try?

That also probably doesn't help, except for the fact that my friends' rigs don't have has much processing power as mine, yet they don't encounter the same problems. Thanks for your help though!
What is your friends full pc spec? If they have more RAM that may help reduce cpu workload. With 8GB RAM you may have a lot of swapping going on between RAM and HDD/SSD which can significantly increase workload. Neither a quad core cpu or 8GB RAM are suited to multitasking while gaming.

Reactions: helper800

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
ADATA in general is not a ram company I would go with. I was running i5-7600k 16gb ram with discord steam epic origin nzxt cam all open and it was never a issue while gaming. Using a 980ti as well so your video card isn’t all the different. Are you using one stick or two? Can anyone loan you a stick to try?
I'm running two sticks, and no, especially now with corona-lockdown, I can't get a loan stick. I did already order a new 16gb kit, so I guess I'll find out if that was the problem then. At this point I'm wondering if it could be a different issue to know if I have to order another new part. Thanks for the info though!

BobMcSmith

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
What is your friends full pc spec? If they have more RAM that may help reduce cpu workload. With 8GB RAM you may have a lot of swapping going on between RAM and HDD/SSD which can significantly increase workload. Neither a quad core cpu or 8GB RAM are suited to multitasking while gaming.
I can get the full spec later today, but I do know that they both have 8g too. Thanks!