Computer monitor goes black and computer freezes, power still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennyjc

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
This has been happening since I built my new computer about 2 weeks ago, and only playing SW:TOR, here are the specs:

i5 2500k 3.3GZ (refuse to OC while this is still happening)
Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit
PowerColor HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Zalman CNPS10X Extreme Ultra Quiet
CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU
2x random old 500GB HD
OCZ agility 3 60GB SATA-3 SSD (only has windows 7 + SWTOR on it)
And an old GT430 (due to running two vga monitors and my 6870 only suports 1 vga, also the crashes happened before I put this back in)

I have tried using a program called "WhoCrashed" but it does not show anything after my computer crashes, I am really confused because this is a brand new system apart from the 2 harddrives and old gt430, and its really disputing and annoying me.

Thanks for your time and please feel free to ask me any questions/for more infomation

Sounds to me like your power plan isn't coming out of power saving mode.

In control panel>hardware and sound>power options> click on change plan settings.
Where it says turn off display change it to never.

You may need to wait for a bios update, driver, or other fix as its very hard to diagnose this type of error. Even in so doing you may find your stuck waiting on a fix from your hardware vendor.

If this doesn't help there could be a problem with your PSU producing stable or enough power. Also there could be conflicting video drivers.

Fix the bug that the OEM activation version OS of window7 will hang at the "blue screen" if some graphics cards be installed in system.
Make sure you have the latest bios.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V/#download

americanbrian

Distinguished
sounds like overheating, possibly cpu if changing the GPU didn't sort it.

Even if a prgoram reports low average temp it could be an air pocket in the thermal paste. Try re-applying some MX-3 or similar thermal compound and see if it helps.

It is always possible that one of the mobo chipset chips is doing it too. Good luck.

bennyjc

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hey, I did nto change the GPU I simply added my old one so my 2 VGA monitors would work, I checked my bios and a program called 'core temp' which both shows my cpu temps to be between 35 - 50oc depending on load, I will order some thermal paste and reapply next week if this issue has no been fixed, thanks.

americanbrian

Distinguished
hold on a sec, what is your monitor setup? I have seen and heard of heat/load issues when using monitors of different res and/or refresh rate from the same card. Make sure they have identical settings if possible.... This may mean lowering res on one to match if this is the case.

And you are running an Nvidia card side by side with the 6870? I have heard of this done for using PhysX on the Nvidia card, rendering with the Radeon, but never rendering with both.

bennyjc

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have a 6870 running my main monitor (1920x1080) and a gt430 running a second older/smaller monitor (1280x800) only because my 6870 doesnt support two analog ports. Nothing special just so I can use my second monitor.

You really need to set up both monitors to work only with the 6870. Will the adapter allow you to use both monitors with the 6870? Set up the gt430 for physic support only.

bennyjc

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, I have already said that the crashes were before the second monitor was in place, and also I have 2 vga monitors even with adapters, my 6870 will only support 1 analog.

That is odd as every model I have looked at has both a DL-DVI-I/ SL-DVI-D. No matter tho as mini dp to vga adapters also work but with a much higher price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944

What powercolor model do you have?

Try removing the nvidia card and uninstall all drivers. Both the Nvidia and AMD but dont allow a system restart. Use driversweeper to ensure all Nvidia and amd files are gone. Restart your system at this point. Get the newest AMD driver for your card and reinstall.

What were your last few software installs? You may have some software messing with windows power saving features. Did you install any hardware shortly before? If you haven't changed anything my only guess is you may have some hardware about to go bad.

bennyjc

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Only really drivers and things like flash, video games and some software such as visual studio, the crashes are strange, its only my main monitor which crashes, if my mouse is on my second monitor I can move it around for about 5 seconds, but I cant click anything and if I am in skype at the same time as the crash, the other person can hear me for that 5 seconds before the proper crash if you understand me.

Would these video games be possible steam games? If so you may need to add -windowed -noborder to your startup options. You can also do this within steam settings.

I suggest you install temperature monitor software like amd's overdrive and do some testing with furmarks. Could be your video card just needs a bit more fan, volts, or defective.

Kynttila

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey, i'm having the same problem now and was wondering if you ever found out the reason for it.

i5 2500k at 3.3ghz
HD 6870 at 915 / 1050 before, 7850 now.
8gb DDR3 kingston
750w PSU
P8p67 pro

This happened to me a little over month back with my year old HD 6870, first the screen went black or strange lines appeared on it, then the sound started to buzz and the only way to shut down the computer was to do it manually. Later on it gave me BSoD and i formated everything, which didn't help on the problem. I took my 6870 to my retailer and it was proven to be broken, I ordered a 7850 and it has worked fine till now, but an hour ago the same problem appeared. Eventlogs seem to be useless for this.

I'm suspecting it's my PSU or motherboard.

My heats are fine, no dust either.

Status
Not open for further replies.