Question Computer motherboard powers on, but displays nothing.

StromOleBoyee

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
My specs are as follows.
Motherboard: Asus z87-k
Processor: I7 4790k
Power Supply Evea 700B
Ram DDR3 2gb Nanya?

The issue as far as I know:
I assembled that build together and the compuetr does start, but nothing else. The fans will keep going indefinitely on the Asus z87-k, but nothing will happen, no display. Finding this strange, I retrieved my POST test card.

There are 8 red lights on the post card. -12v, +12v, +5v, +3.3v, clk, Irdy, Frame, and reset.

According to my post card, the Leds were blank. just _ _ _ _ for all four number slots, and of the red lights, all the power related ones were lit. -12v, +12v, +5v, +3.3v, as well as clk. None ,of the others were though.

I recently purchased that i7 4790k used, so I had a sneaking suspicions it might be fried, so I tried another motherboard. This was a ASUS gryphon, and I can confirm this one was a refurbished mobo that I long since shelved, as it was on the fritz, and was slowly failing. Though, I wanted to ensure my ASUS z87 kj was not the issue.

My ASUS grypohn instead of having the fans being left on, they would start up, then shut down, then start up, it'd loop like that, and for the most part, the POST card readings were the same, blank about 80% of the time, though sometimes it'd read all 1s or 2s briefly (only on this motherboard), and another time an F something, but that was much rarer. The red lights lit up on the post card this time had the power lights as well as an Iready light.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this, something tells me the ASUS z87-k I bought used about a year back is damaged, though, I feel like the used i7 4790k may have some issues, and that I'd probably need to return it.

I'm not sure what to make of this though.

Last edited: