[SOLVED] Computer mysteriously says that it's incompatible with Windows 11, absolutely blows minimum specs out of the water

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
So since Windows 11 was announced today, I ran the program to test the computer to see if it can run 11.

Weirdly it said no.

The minimum requirements are a 1GHZ 64-Bit 2-Core Processor (I have a 4GHZ 4-Core @ 64-Bit), 4GB of RAM (I have 16), 64GB of Disk Space (I have 1TB), and UEFI. My PC's BIOS is set to run UEFI.

So why does it mysteriously say it's incompatible?

Solution
i love how tool doesn't point out why you can't upgrade, it just points you at the minimum specs page and leaves you to work it out... and of course bottom of page is ads for win 11 PC
I can't find that page now but i took this yesterday before I turned TPM on (tpm only highlighted as i had just clicked it, it doesn't show any clue which spec you failed. Must have been speed, my 3600XT is just too slow)
63hEhJ6.jpg

It should at least say why you fail, I knew and could fix it, but how many people won't know? talk about a nice deal to be listed on bottom of that page lol.

We could hope it will change but really, will it? Only people who will know that in a lot of cases, changing one thing lets you have it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i love how tool doesn't point out why you can't upgrade, it just points you at the minimum specs page and leaves you to work it out... and of course bottom of page is ads for win 11 PC
I can't find that page now but i took this yesterday before I turned TPM on (tpm only highlighted as i had just clicked it, it doesn't show any clue which spec you failed. Must have been speed, my 3600XT is just too slow)
63hEhJ6.jpg

It should at least say why you fail, I knew and could fix it, but how many people won't know? talk about a nice deal to be listed on bottom of that page lol.

We could hope it will change but really, will it? Only people who will know that in a lot of cases, changing one thing lets you have it for free, no new PC needed, use forums like this. Vast overwhelming percentage won't know and will buy a new PC even if their last PC is only 1 year old.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, it makes sense a bios update is pushed out to any boards that support it, that simply turns it on

or alternatively an FAQ question on mb websites showing how to enable it. I expect OEM will do same.

Dell/hp etc likely push out an update that turns it on as easier than trying to explain steps to users.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I predict soon shops will be flooding with "new" motherboards proudly displaying "Windows 11 ready" banner that differ from existing ones only by few default BIOS settings :rolleyes:
some mb makers have even disabled feature on boards ,as it didn't work... right, just in time for an os that needs it and your new boards where it does work... nothing to see here, move along :D

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: Dell Inspiron 3670, i5-8400.

And my post #17 above.

Get-TPM then:

TpmPresent : False
TpmReady : False
TpmEnabled : False
TpmActivated : False
TpmOwned : False
RestartPending : False
ManufacturerId : 0
ManufacturerIdTxt :
ManufacturerVersion :
ManufacturerVersionFull20 :
ManagedAuthLevel : Full
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : True
AutoProvisioning : NotDefined
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime :
LockoutCount :
LockoutMax :
SelfTest :

= = = =

What I did

PPT (Intel Platform Trust Technology) turned on via BIOS

Get-TPM results are now:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-TPM

TpmPresent : True
TpmReady : True
TpmEnabled : True
TpmActivated : True
TpmOwned : True
RestartPending : True
ManufacturerId : 1229870147
ManufacturerIdTxt : INTC
ManufacturerVersion : 403.1.0.0
ManufacturerVersionFull20 : 403.1.0.0

ManagedAuthLevel : Full
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : False
AutoProvisioning : Enabled
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime : 2 hours
LockoutCount : 0
LockoutMax : 32
SelfTest : {}

Windows Security did block a few things so will need to determine what is happening there...

From Notifications:

DDVDataCollector was prevented from making changes to memory.

Will wait a few days to ensure that no problems pop up. Then decide on what to test next.

Still no intention to rush into Windows 11.