[SOLVED] Computer mysteriously says that it's incompatible with Windows 11, absolutely blows minimum specs out of the water

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
So since Windows 11 was announced today, I ran the program to test the computer to see if it can run 11.

Weirdly it said no.

The minimum requirements are a 1GHZ 64-Bit 2-Core Processor (I have a 4GHZ 4-Core @ 64-Bit), 4GB of RAM (I have 16), 64GB of Disk Space (I have 1TB), and UEFI. My PC's BIOS is set to run UEFI.

So why does it mysteriously say it's incompatible?

Solution
i love how tool doesn't point out why you can't upgrade, it just points you at the minimum specs page and leaves you to work it out... and of course bottom of page is ads for win 11 PC
I can't find that page now but i took this yesterday before I turned TPM on (tpm only highlighted as i had just clicked it, it doesn't show any clue which spec you failed. Must have been speed, my 3600XT is just too slow)
63hEhJ6.jpg

It should at least say why you fail, I knew and could fix it, but how many people won't know? talk about a nice deal to be listed on bottom of that page lol.

We could hope it will change but really, will it? Only people who will know that in a lot of cases, changing one thing lets you have it...

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
how able list the full system spec?

HP 240W PSU (for the Z220 SFF)
HP Z220 SFF Motherboard
Intel CoreTM I5-3470 @ 3.2GHZ (though it usually runs at 3.5, which I round to 4, 3.5 is the turbo clock)
16GB of "Vengeance" DDR3 RAM
1TB WDC-WD10EZEX Hard Disk
256GB Microcenter SD card (as SSD)
NVidia GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card w/ 2GB of vRAM
Ubit Intel Wifi Card

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
The new minimum requirements seem designed to force replacement of most hardware more than 5 years old, and possibly some that's newer.

64-bit CPU: no problem, most CPUs since the early 2000s have been 64-bit
4GB RAM: this is what kills 32-bit Windows; computers intended for 32-bit Windows have 2GB or less RAM, and a lot of Intel's Atom and other low-power CPUs are artificially (because they're 64-bit internally) limited to addressing 2GB of RAM or less.
64GB storage: that's pretty minimal, but it's another strike at 32-bit Windows which commonly worked fine with cheap 32GB eMMC.
DX12 GPU: blocks pretty much anything more than 10 years old, or without current driver support of DX12.
UEFI with Secure Boot available and TPM 2.0: blocks nearly everything more than 5 years old, designed for 32-bit Windows, or otherwise without TPM 2. Even with TPM, older stuff (with 1.2) won't work.

Bottom line: if a computer is more than 3-5 years old, it probably won't run Windows 11 and must be replaced. Win10 will be supported until 2025; you have until then to buy a new one. If it's newer than that and fails the compatibility checker, are some settings are wrong (Are UEFI mode and TPM enabled in the BIOS? To avoid other complications, is Secure Boot enabled too?)?

Last edited:

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
The new minimum requirements seem designed to force replacement of most hardware more than 5 years old, and possibly some that's newer.

64-bit CPU: no problem, most CPUs since the early 2000s have been 64-bit
4GB RAM: this is what kills 32-bit Windows; computers intended for 32-bit Windows have 2GB or less RAM, and a lot of Intel's Atom and other low-power CPUs are artificially (because they're 64-bit internally) limited to addressing 2GB of RAM or less.
64GB storage: that's pretty minimal, but it's another strike at 32-bit Windows which commonly worked fine with cheap 32GB eMMC.
DX12 GPU: blocks pretty much anything more than 10 years old, or without current driver support of DX12.
UEFI with Secure Boot available and TPM 2.0: blocks nearly everything more than 5 years old, designed for 32-bit Windows, or otherwise without TPM 2. Even with TPM, older stuff (with 1.2) won't work.

Bottom line: if a computer is more than 3-5 years old, it probably won't run Windows 11 and must be replaced. Win10 will be supported until 2025; you have until then to buy a new one. If it's newer than that and fails the compatibility checker, are some settings are wrong (Are UEFI mode and TPM enabled in the BIOS? To avoid other complications, is Secure Boot enabled too?)?
My computer is 7.

Meh, I've brute forced Windows to install before, I can do it again.

Ralston18

Titan
FYI - all

Use Powershell and run the Get-Tpm cmdlet

My results:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Tpm

TpmPresent : False
TpmReady : False
TpmEnabled : False
TpmActivated : False
TpmOwned : False
RestartPending : False
ManufacturerId : 0
ManufacturerIdTxt :
ManufacturerVersion :
ManufacturerVersionFull20 :
ManagedAuthLevel : Full
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : True
AutoProvisioning : NotDefined
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime :
LockoutCount :
LockoutMax :
SelfTest :

For more information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/trustedplatformmodule/?view=windowsserver2019-ps

Reactions: gardenman

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
FYI - all

Use Powershell and run the Get-Tpm cmdlet

My results:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Tpm

TpmPresent : False
TpmReady : False
TpmEnabled : False
TpmActivated : False
TpmOwned : False
RestartPending : False
ManufacturerId : 0
ManufacturerIdTxt :
ManufacturerVersion :
ManufacturerVersionFull20 :
ManagedAuthLevel : Full
OwnerAuth :
OwnerClearDisabled : True
AutoProvisioning : NotDefined
LockedOut : False
LockoutHealTime :
LockoutCount :
LockoutMax :
SelfTest :

For more information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/trustedplatformmodule/?view=windowsserver2019-ps
According to this there is no TPM chip.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
There gonna be a bunch of stuff MS needs to work out before Win 11 is really ready. This is the reason I plan on waiting to upgrade.That I I just recently starting using win10.

I am writing this on an HP prebuilt with the Ryzen 7 4700g (APU) and it says it can run it. All prebuilts have a skimpy BIOS and HP doubly so. What little in there is locked down tighter than Fort Knox. I haven't bother to check,but I assume if there is a TPM setting in the bios,I can't adjust it.
Yet I the pc health check app says I'm good to go:

https://download.microsoft.com/down...55-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

The point I am trying to make is don't stress it and wait a bit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
HP prebuilt with the Ryzen 7 4700g (APU)
if any motherboards are going to have tpm on them, its going to be pre built. Especially by HP, big oem would have them as they don't know who their customers are going to be, they might be corporate clients.
All the self made PC, more hit and miss.

i feel tpm is thrown up as a barrier to stop the mad rush of people killing their servers on the 1st day of release, they might remove it after that date or something.