Computer Newbie Upgrading PC, help please.

brownlittlepony

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Help please,

I am a computer newbie.

Bought a new computer (Acer) for $2000, not USD, so don't worry about it costing too much =P, (Though it still cost much to me!)

The thing is that, i cannot play lots of games with good framerate, help!

Source games, 60 fps per second. Source games like zombie panic source, tf2, etc. But in high settings =)

Computer specs below :

-----------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 920 processor @ 2.67 ghz

Nvidia GT 130 @ 1.5 Gb dedicated memory

6 GB 1333 mhz DDR 3 Ram, and 2 GB 1033 mgz DDR3 ram (This is weird, i know. The extra 2 gb is free)

Motherboard : Don't know =( <Help?>

Monitor : 1920 X 1080, acer monitor. 23" (Inch). Acer x233h i think.

750 GB hard disk space. A c; drive and a d; drive.

I don't know my PSU, but i think it's 450 w - 500 w. I saw it when the acer guy came down to fix my computer. ^^ :)

-----------------------------------------------

Is my processor good?

Graphic card, is it good? :wahoo:

Ram, erm. Should i take away the extra 2 gb? Will it matter?

Monitor, shouldn't be a problem? :lol:

Harddisk, big enough? I plan to upgrade it.

PSU? I heard that people say it isn't good.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks guys! :)

Tell me what need upgrades.

I don't need SLI or Crossfire, 1 graphic card is good for me. If that's the case, motherboard shouldn't matter, right?

--------------------------------------------

There goes, hope you all reply! =)

Thx :pt1cable:

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

agree with rockstone1

the graphics card is what's pulling you behind in performance..

get the ATI 4890 or if u can afford the new 5850... It draws less power and may not need u to change ur psu(if it doesn't support 4890)

brownlittlepony

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for the replys, people! :pt1cable:

So it's my graphic card which is weak... That seems to show why i am getting low fps..

But, isn't it that the more memory it have, the better it is? :(

Seems that i got fooled by that Acer guy, huh? =(

But nonetheless, you all said that PSU is related to graphic card? How is it related? Do i need a new PSU or something?

And, maybe i will get another graphics card, but is ATI really better? You all have been recommending it to me.

Nonethless, thanks for the help. :bounce:

And,

Hope you will reply again sometime soon. :hello:

RIKHOLLIS

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
You said you don't know what kind of mother board you have and that you saw your power supply when the Acer guy came down to fix your computer. Don't be afraid to explore on your own; take off that side panel and have a look yourself.
A flashlight and magnifying glass are handy to have.

There are many free software programs that can tell what kind of hardware you have; SysInfo 4 Windows is a good one.

The PSU comments in relation to the video card are just meant to ensure that you have enough power to drive the whole machine; for instance the 2x GPU 4890's take significantly more power than a single GPU 4850.

shovenose

Distinguished

duh 2 gpus will take more power than one!!!!!!
ok sorry i dont mean that meanly but SERIOUSLY.

The GT120 is a rebranded 9500GT

performance.gif

and you need a power supply that will power a powerful graphics card since a graphics card draws the most power ina pc

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
The new ATI 5000-series cards support the newest standard in grafx acceleration - DirectX 11.

They are the fastest right now.

There are 2 lines with 2 models each:
5750 & 5770
and
5850 & 5870

They all perform well. The 5700's are cheaper; they have a 128bit memory interface. The 5800's are expensive and feature 256bit mem interface.

The 5750 will blow the doors off your current grafx card. It will also help keep your power consumption under control (which is why people have concerns about your power supply unit or PSU.

Check your manual to see if you have a >>> PCIe x16 <<< slot on your motherboard. Or call Acer tek sport, or see Acer online - should be in manual. And there should be something to show you a diagram where it is, and talk about how to install etc. It's easy - it only fits one kind of slot.

Right now you might just have a grafx chip on the mobo - onboard video - and that might have to be disabled in the bios, or cmos, or setup area - when you first turn on pc, you see black screens or an acer logo - see manual to find out how to enter bios area - maybe hit "del" or some other keys to enter. Acer should tell you how to either online or in manual. It's only difficult cos you haven't done it before - just make sure you do it right.

The grafx card probly has a driver disk - then update drivers to latest version of Catalyst drivers from ATI.

You can do this - do it right.
or come back and ask for more help when you need it.
AMD/ATI also has AMD-forums where you can easily get help with this also. AMD now owns ATI.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

This grafx comparison chart is almost meaningless, and highly general - it is apparently an average of "all resolutions" which is impossible. The ATI cards generally outperform at "higher" resolutions.

The chart is useful as a quick ref but specific performance is just not there.

This is for a new sys and probably will run in excess of 1600 rez.

Also the 5750 is missing on the chart.

It would be nice to properly educate a young and eager geek. :)
and I think we are doing that. Probably more than he expected. :D

brownlittlepony

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
My graphic card is not a GT 120, it's a GT 130.

So, which i should buy a ATI card instead of a Nvidia card?

Seems like no one is recommending Nvidia at this point of time. :eek:

So, will DX 11 card be better than DX 10 card in terms of value?

Thanks. :wahoo:

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
at this point of time ati is definitely better... dirextx 11 is newer and better... but there are not many games that support it... but it future proofs... instead of going for a dirextx 10 nvidia card

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I agree with the graphics card being your main problem with gaming.
I would take out the 2 GB 1033mhz stick because your ram can only go as fast as the slowest stick. That means that the 6GB of 1333mhz is running at 1033mhz.

Well the reason why No one recommend nvidia because at the moment is that ATI has the graphic card performance lead (as others might of said).

A HD 5850 or HD 5870 will be good, long term gpu for your monitor resolution.