Question Computer no longer boots or turns off after changing some power settings in Windows

Mar 7, 2019
Long story short, computer's been working fine for years, changed the Windows power setting from High performance to Balanced in Control Panel, set it to hibernate, and now I can't get it to come back on (sort of). Pressing the power button will turn it on, the drives will spin (although the DVD drive peculiarly closes itself immediately if i try to open the disc tray), the GPU turns on, the power LED on the case will start blinking, all the fans work, but no USB devices will have any power and the display doesn't turn on.

However I also can't easily turn the dang thing off anymore either. Holding the power button for 10 seconds will power it off, but it immediately powers itself back on after a couple seconds. I have to turn off the PSU directly to get it to stay off.

I figured the CMOS reset button might fix it, and I was almost right. After pressing it, on the next boot all USB devices have power and the display turns on, and I get this:

2Q1Ul7v.jpg

But unfortunately, both F1 and F2 cause the computer to restart and re-enter this endless self-boot loop. Can't reach the BIOS or the OS to change the settings back.

As far as I know the only difference between the Windows power plans was the "Minimum processor state" setting. Not sure what else could be causing it as I haven't modified any BIOS settings or changed any hardware for a while now, and I imagine the BIOS setting changes would be rendered moot by the CMOS button anyway.

Anyone have any ideas for how to fix this (preferably without having to spend money)?

My build, just in case:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 B3
CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.30GHz
GPU: MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
PSU: Antec 650W EA-650 Green
RAM: 8GB (RipJaws 4GB and Kingston 4GB)

Mar 7, 2019
I'm on Windows 7. I thought of trying with the GPU removed but my motherboard doesn't have any video output ports. I guess I could take it out and see if the keyboard and mouse get power, at least.

EDIT: Removing the GPU doesn't seem to help, USB devices are still without power, and the drive still shuts immediately.

EDIT2: I fixed it by removing 2 of the RAM sticks. Not sure why that worked, because I put them back in after and it still works fine.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS