Question Computer not booting from SSD

Jun 12, 2020
First Image: View: https://imgur.com/uHFeeWH

Second Image: View: https://imgur.com/12lSjX9

In the first image, the computer should boot from the third option, the ssd which has windows on it. However it no longer is after the latest windows update.
When I go into the boot options (second image) to make the SSD boot first it is not listed there unlike the first image?
What is stranger is that if I choose to boot the SSD from the first image it does not work, I have to select the blank option below it for it to load up my computer like it did before the update?

Any ideas on how to fix this so I do not have to option up boot devices everytime I turn on my computer?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
First go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > OS build info > Windows specifications" to find which Windows version you have.

Then go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" if you do have the newest version 2004.

Jun 12, 2020
First go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > OS build info > Windows specifications" to find which Windows version you have.

Then go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" if you do have the newest version 2004.

Thank you! This worked my computer now boots up normally :)
When will it be safe to update to the latest version of windows? The one after? or when the drivers for my motherboard get updated?

Thank you! This worked my computer now boots up normally :)
When will it be safe to update to the latest version of windows? The one after? or when the drivers for my motherboard get updated?
It will likely take a month or two for Microsoft to fix all the issues with 2004. I have my PC set to pause all major updates for one month.

Jun 12, 2020
I have had to update as Windows said my current update of windows was reaching the end of its maintained period, forcing me to update.
I figured with it being more than 3 months since I had this issue it would have been resolved, but no I still have the exact same problem.
I assume its not safe to use a non protected / maintained update of Windows? Is there any other solutions to this issue or do I just need to live with the annoying way my computer turns on now? :(

I have had to update as Windows said my current update of windows was reaching the end of its maintained period, forcing me to update.
I figured with it being more than 3 months since I had this issue it would have been resolved, but no I still have the exact same problem.
I assume its not safe to use a non protected / maintained update of Windows? Is there any other solutions to this issue or do I just need to live with the annoying way my computer turns on now? :(
How does your 860 EVO SSD connect to the motherboard, M.2 or SATA?
Have you used the Samsung Magician software provided with your SSD? Check if your 860 EVO has the latest firmware update.

Jun 12, 2020
How does your 860 EVO SSD connect to the motherboard, M.2 or SATA?
Have you used the Samsung Magician software provided with your SSD? Check if your 860 EVO has the latest firmware update.

99% sure its SATA. I have not, but I have just installed it, updated to the latest firmware and have the same problem still. Thank you though I did not know about this software previously :)

99% sure its SATA. I have not, but I have just installed it, updated to the latest firmware and have the same problem still. Thank you though I did not know about this software previously :)
I would like to know how your 860 EVO connects to the motherboard, with a SATA cable or is it a gum stick SSD that plugs into the M.2 port? Your motherboard has 2 different SATA controllers, 6 SATA ports are controlled by the Intel chipset and 2 are controlled by an add-on ASMedia controller chip.

QicCc9fkPdVEe38yx2QLhV.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
Try switching your SSD to SATA port 6 or 7. They are controlled by the add-on ASMedia controller chip, rather than the Intel chipset.

Just checked and my SSD is in SATA port 7 already, the one in the photo is my HDD which is in SATA port 1, sorry! Should I try my SSD plugged into anything other than SATA port 6 and 7 then or?