Question Computer not booting, red DRAM light on motherboard ?

wtb2101

Reputable
Apr 27, 2018
I turned my computer on this morning having last used it last night with no issue to find that it would not boot, It would turn on with the LED lights and fans turning on but nothing beyond that my screen remained black.

I decided to search this up originally not noticing the DRAM light and found a few potential issues it could be such as; overheating or the power supply not supplying enough power, I first tried tacking overheating by doing a deep clean getting rid of all the dust after trying to boot after that and found nothing had changed so I tried changing the power supply the only result this ended in was that one of my hard drives burning out (It was an older drive that I was intent on replacing soon), I hope that the rest of my drives are fine, as soon as I noticed the drive I turned the system off and removed all the drives (I really should have done this in the first place ) and after powering it back on to see what the result would be without the risk of damaging other drives (If they're not damaged already, only the one drive actually burnt out, but I cant yet test the other drives, I hope they are fine), and after powering it up again I found that yet again just the fans and lights came on however this time I noticed the red light for the DRAM so I tried what people have suggested online including cleaning the RAM and trying them in different slots and trying them individually, however the same result.

What I wanted to know is, has the RAM died and is causing this? Is it perhaps the motherboard? (say the slots are broken or something) I wanted to ask your opinions and suggestions to try and fix my issue as I am very confused by how it was fine the night before and then just doesn't work.

System;
  • Ryzen 7 3700K (sock cooler)
  • Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
  • MSI 1060 6GB
  • 16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO
  • Corsair CM600M (Power supply it usually has)
  • Gigabyte B700H (The power supply I replaced the CM600M with for testing)

Lutfij

Titan
Your PSU in the build is the Corsair CX600M, that's a green labelled unit from Corsair which is actually not considered a PSU but an expensive paperweight. The Gigabyte unit you have is also not a good(reliably built) unit. As for your question with the ram, you can take the sticks of ram to your friend or neighbor, provided they own a platform that accepts DDR4 rams and see if they are recognized in first the BIOS and then in the OS(GUI)+CPU-Z, in order to rule out your rams being faulty.

Which slots were the rams in prior and which slots did you reseat them in? Also, can you elaborate on how you cleaned the sticks of ram? I make sure that the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall and display, that I'm grounded before I remove the sticks of ram and often use an eraser on the gold contact points of the ram sticks. Wipe they clean of any debris and then use a fine bristle brush to dust the ram slots on the motherboard, then reseat the rams.

wtb2101

Reputable
Apr 27, 2018
Which slots were the rams in prior and which slots did you reseat them in? Also, can you elaborate on how you cleaned the sticks of ram? I make sure that the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall and display, that I'm grounded before I remove the sticks of ram and often use an eraser on the gold contact points of the ram sticks. Wipe they clean of any debris and then use a fine bristle brush to dust the ram slots on the motherboard, then reseat the rams.

I did the same as you for cleaning minus the brushing of the RAM slots on the motherboard, they were seated in slots 1 and 3 originally (before my issue), currently seated in slots 2 and 4.