[SOLVED] computer not booting to Windows on ssd

Jortand

Prominent
Sep 12, 2019
Hi I just built a new PC and want to use my old ssd, but it doesn't want to boot from that ssd and always throws me to the BIOS, I can see the drive in the "storage" tab but I don't get the option to boot from it, is there any way to format the drive from the bios or from a USB?
I went from a Intel to AMD, but I have read that it shouldn't matter??

Solution
Hi I just built a new PC and want to use my old ssd, but it doesn't want to boot from that ssd and always throws me to the BIOS, I can see the drive in the "storage" tab but I don't get the option to boot from it, is there any way to format the drive from the bios or from a USB?
For a full hardware change, you don't want to use the old OS from the old system. Even if you can make it boot up.

It absolutely needs a fresh OS install.

I don't know where you read that "that it shouldn't matter "...but those people were absolutely wrong.

Even Intel -> Intel or AMD -> AMD.

Trying to do this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails...

USAFRet

Titan
For a full hardware change, you don't want to use the old OS from the old system. Even if you can make it boot up.

It absolutely needs a fresh OS install.

I don't know where you read that "that it shouldn't matter "...but those people were absolutely wrong.

Even Intel -> Intel or AMD -> AMD.

Trying to do this, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boot up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You're at #2.

Solution
Unless you downgraded everything to standard drivers, it will be tricky to just boot off the old SSD. Always best to image the drive before you try to migrate so you can recover from unexpected results.

Also UEFI checks the SSD and platform have changed which is why you're getting thrown into bios - you'll likely need to switch to CSM or legacy mode to even start a boot.