ypsi

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
For the past week my computer started randomly freezing. At first it only froze for 10 seconds, I still had control of my mouse, but all programs stopped responding. When I noticed this I tried to shut down my computer but it got stuck on “windows is installing 1 of 1 updates, do not power down your system.” Nothing happened, the next morning when I checked my computer it was still shutting down, so I was forced to turn off the power. When I powered it back on, it ran the windows ckdsk (it took about 3 hours, im not sure if that’s normal) and repaired itself and I was able to boot once again. However, the freezing persisted and got to the point to where it would freeze every 30 seconds and this time it took about 5-10 mins before I regained control. After that I formatted my hard drive and installed Windows 7 on a new partition. Everything installed fine and all is well for the next day or so before it started freezing again. It got to the point where it no longer boots. When I power it on, the lights turn on and the fans spin. No beeps, it doesn’t post and I can’t get into the BIOS.

I built this computer myself over a year ago with parts I ordered online. Im running Win 7 64-bit. I have tried reseating my RAM and GFX card. I have reset the BIOS. I have unplugged my hard drives into different SATA ports on my motherboard. I have checked all of the connections on the back of the computer and everything is plugged in. I have a second computer in the same room that I have tested my monitor on. At this point I have no idea what to do.

Have you overclocked any hardware? If so, reset to stock settings, including the GPU. It sounds like the OS is dropping its driver, and your freeze is caused by the OS trying to recover the driver - I've had this happen on ATi cards that were overclocked.