Computer not connecting to monitor (not what you think)

Apr 9, 2018
My computer turns on, fans lights etc. My monitor will cycle through vga and dvi and then says no signal. And I know it’s not my monitor because I have connected it to 3 laptops and it’s worked fine. But until the last couple days, if I would turn my computer off and on multiple times atleast once it would actually work and show up on my monitor. Some days it would start up perfectly the first time, some days it takes 5-10 times turning it off and on until it works. Recently it just haven’t been connecting to my monitor at all. I have unplugged my graphics card and connected to my motherboard and still nothing. A while back I decided to take it to a guy down the street that does repair and he said it was my power supply and threw another one in there and it worked for a little bit and then one day the power supply started sparking so i decided to put my original power supply back in and again started working, but I would have to turn it off and on multiple times until it finally connects. Any ideas??

https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Computer-Desktop-AM005A-FX-8320/dp/B01MS884FI

That is the computer I bought pre-built, all I’ve added was a gtx 1050ti and after install of that everything worked fine until couple months later.

Solution
The higher wattage just gives you headroom for future upgrades. James's point is a higher wattage doesn't equal quality. You can have a no name 750w, that is actually worse than a high quality 550w. But a higher wattage model, in the same series of PSU's, are typically of similar quality. The CX450M is enough for your needs, but a cx550m, or cx650m would also be considered good quality choices. Those 3 share a similar platform. The cx750w+ do not, and are best avoided. It is hard to know such things without reading tech reviews.
Your motherboard has no graphics chips on it, so those ports on it are all useless and would never work anyways.
If a new PSU fixed it, but that PSU had problems (which i'd believe), a new actual good PSU fixed it:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm
A little cheaper, but still safe:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B6XnTW/cooler-master-masterwatt-550w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-mpx-5501-amaab-us

Apr 9, 2018

After multiple tries of turning it on, I finally got it working, I don't know what I did but I fiddled around, I unplugged the graphics card and ram and put them back in hard. Boom it turned on, could have been the ram? I don't know. When this problem first arose I posted about it on another site and they said its probably my motherboard. My motherboard is an MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641). So I feel like I should probably take it to a qualified repair place and look into what I can do. I might just buy a whole new motherboard and processor.

Apr 9, 2018

Okay, I will look into getting a new power supply. Id like a bigger wattage one anyways..

Apr 9, 2018

I meant to slap a question on there about that but you answered anyways. but okay, I'll grab one of those and see what happens.

Apr 9, 2018

My motherboard is a Micro-ATX form, does the power supply need to be Micro-ATX or is a regular ATX fine?

No, ATX = ATX. If you're looking at TFX or SFX you have a problem. PSU formats typically speak about the specific case you have though.
Micro-ATX refers to what case compatibility you need, but it's still compatible with all the other ATX specifications.

Apr 9, 2018

is there a difference in 550 or 620/650? James was saying bigger doesn't mean better so would it still be okay? I'm not super good with computers that is why I'm asking so many questions. I will definitely look into these.

and I just looked up my current power supply on pcpartpicker and the brand isn't even on there goes to show how good it is, "Allied" have any of you heard of that?

The big things to look at is beans, evga, seasonic, Corsair, antec. Beans like that are reputable. Others are also, but those are what comes to mind. I looked to look know one that has a single 12v+ rail with as many amps as I can get. You'll find sometimes the cheaper power supplies show not watts, but have lower amperage. So you might see a 750 watt from an off brands that isn't as strong as say a 600 watt from a reputable brand.

logainofhades

Titan
The higher wattage just gives you headroom for future upgrades. James's point is a higher wattage doesn't equal quality. You can have a no name 750w, that is actually worse than a high quality 550w. But a higher wattage model, in the same series of PSU's, are typically of similar quality. The CX450M is enough for your needs, but a cx550m, or cx650m would also be considered good quality choices. Those 3 share a similar platform. The cx750w+ do not, and are best avoided. It is hard to know such things without reading tech reviews.

Solution

Latest posts