Computer not connecting to monitor with dvi-D to vga conversion

greenolive

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
When i got my graphics card i put it in plugged my video cable in turned on my computer and downloaded the drivers everything worked fine. Then I try turn it on again and my monitor says no signal.My monitor only has VGA input and my graphics card only has DL-dvi-d , hdmi and display port output. so i got a dvi-d to VGA adapter.
-this is what iv tried:
-moved Ram into different slots
-moved graphics card into different PciE slot
-i borrowed a different monitor for testing with a hdmi input and tried with an hdmi cable into my graphics card that worked fine
-then i tried with my dvi-d to VGA adapter into that same monitor it worked the first time but the following times just said no connection

these are my specs:
gtx 1050ti 4gb
msi Z370-A pro
500w psu
LG 20M38A monitor
Dvi-D to VGA adapter

possible problems?
the fact that it worked first both time makes me think it could be software
possibly faulty adapter but why would it work both times on the first try

I know little about computer these are just geusses using logic,

Solution
You see the little micro-USB jack on the box that holds the VGA part? It needs to be connected to a USB-A jack as a source of +5v power. "Active" means it needs power to do its job and many DVI ports are not up to the task of supplying enough, because the spec for DVI only requires enough power to read the EDID of the monitor.

greenolive

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

it looks to me that mine is active, it also doesn't make sense that it would work the first time if it wasn't active.
this is the one i have http://www.ugreen.com.cn/product-808-en.html

You see the little micro-USB jack on the box that holds the VGA part? It needs to be connected to a USB-A jack as a source of +5v power. "Active" means it needs power to do its job and many DVI ports are not up to the task of supplying enough, because the spec for DVI only requires enough power to read the EDID of the monitor.

Solution

greenolive

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

hey thanks so much could you please explain as how i can do this, like what i need to get where, i need to plug it in ect?

could i just use something like this https://matrixwarehouse.co.za/303-usb-to-micro-usb-cable.html and plug it in a usb port and then in the adapter

greenolive

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

dont have the funds :(

Yes that is the type of cable needed, exactly the same kind normally used to charge a phone. Sounds like the converter just needs a little more power if it can draw enough from your DVI port to run @ 800x600 before the video driver gets installed, but not enough to run at full resolution.

That means even those 1.0A rated cables from the dollar-store should work. Is there an equivalent sort of place in South Africa?

greenolive

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

im sure i can find one i just dont understand why it worked the first time, it was running on 1600 by 900 and i played games like fortnite on high graphics for a couple hours, can you explain this? i just dont want buy something and it doesnt help.