Computer not detecting Ati Radeon 4650

kingarabian

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hi, well I got a low profile Ati Radeon HD 4650 card for my Dell c521. I installed it into my computer, got the computer running and everything. I then uninstalled all drivers from my previous Video card. Its integrated with the motherboard (Nvidia 6150 Le), so I cant physically remove it. So I then installed the Ati drivers. But once I connect my monitor to the 4650, it goes blank. However its not blank with the Nvidia card. Why is this happening? I went through the bois and it had these 2 options:

Primary Video

(Auto default)

This setting specifies which video controller is primary when there is two video controllers available. This selection only matters when if there are two video controllers present. When Auto is selected, the add-in video controller will be used.

NOTE: A PCI Express graphics card will override the integrated video controller.

I tried both of them. Nothing seems to work...
I tried it with my Hp slimline it works perfectly and it has a 220W PSU, while the c521 has a 280W PSU.

Im really doubting its the PSU's problem. Somebody PLEASE help me. I am willing to do anything.

Solution
You did the install completely backwards.
First thing you do is uninstall the video drivers for the onboard, and let Windows install the generic Windows VGA drivers. Then you shut down, install your new card, hook the cable up the new card, and boot up.
You do not need to do anything in the BIOS, leave it on auto.
After you boot into Windows, then you install the drivers for the new card.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
eh, try and set your bios to boot from PCIe first, if there is an option. seems to me like the bios is sending signal to the onboard video rather than automatically switching to the 4650.

if it was a PSU issue, it wouldnt work regardless of where the monitor was plugged in, so long as the 4650 was installed.

you might wish to unplug the machine with the 4650 installed and clear the cmos or pull the battery for a few seconds. once you put the battery back in and power up with the new card installed, it might decide to recognize it as the default display adapter and boot through it.

i dont think it does, but it never hurts to ask...does the pcie card have a power connection? im thinking it shouldnt, but it never hurts to check.

as a side note...280w psu isnt much..but it should be adequate. id suggest purchasing a nice 400-450w unit as your next upgrade.

kingarabian

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
There is no option for the bios to boot from the PCie first =/. I tried the battery thing, but it would just switch the order of the list the bios chooses to choose from. The card's fan is spinning and its pretty cool. This is really confusing... There are no power connection to.

You did the install completely backwards.
First thing you do is uninstall the video drivers for the onboard, and let Windows install the generic Windows VGA drivers. Then you shut down, install your new card, hook the cable up the new card, and boot up.
You do not need to do anything in the BIOS, leave it on auto.
After you boot into Windows, then you install the drivers for the new card.

Solution

kingarabian

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Its working fine now. Thanks again.