[SOLVED] Computer not going to sign in screen

Robel Mekonnen

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2015
Hi everyone, this is kind of a long post so bear with me. I have a Windows 7 work PC that I upgraded to Windows 10 for free on the Microsoft website. I use google chrome for browsing but it wasnt working(said cant open page), so I reinstalled google chrome and all my bookmarks got deleted in the process. I did system restore to try and recover my bookmarks, but they didnt come back. My PC was freezing so I restarted it. Now after turning on my PC it shows the motherboard brand picture and windows logo, then the monitor turns black and nothing happens. I can get into the BIOS or the blue advanced options screen by rebooting the pc manually about 4-5 times. I also have a lot of important documents on this work PC. Please help, thank you.

Solution
Google chrome - do you have a google account? if you log into it, it should have all your bookmarks saved. Its how I do it. It lets you logon anywhere and have all your bookmarks.

running system restore to recover bookmarks is not a step I would have used. Especially Chrome bookmarks, they got nothing to do with MIcrosoft.

But anyway, seems windows is not working as expected. Do you have a win 10 installer? Its a handy boot drive - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

How to save info off PC
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Google chrome - do you have a google account? if you log into it, it should have all your bookmarks saved. Its how I do it. It lets you logon anywhere and have all your bookmarks.

running system restore to recover bookmarks is not a step I would have used. Especially Chrome bookmarks, they got nothing to do with MIcrosoft.

But anyway, seems windows is not working as expected. Do you have a win 10 installer? Its a handy boot drive - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

How to save info off PC
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

You could try a reset keeping files/settings - (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
Choose keep files/settings
You lose all installed programs but don't have to start from scratch

Other choice is clean install - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

Robel Mekonnen

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2015
Hello thanks a lot. I already have windows 7 on my old usb drive. Should I use that instead since upgrading to windows 10 was causing the issues? Or should I delete it and put windows 10 on the usb instead? Btw it wasn't my idea to upgrade to windows 10 since my PC is old but my brother said its more secure than windows 7 as far as viruses are concerned.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how old is PC? Is it a brand name PC or custom? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, do you know motherboard?

Depending how old PC is, I would be more inclined to clean install win 10 as it might make your set up more stable as upgrades can have old problems that come along for ride. Since you upgraded from 7 to 10, your licence is actually both now (you have a 7 & 10 licence) but the code you have shouldn't be necessary in a clean install. When you get to part asking for a licence, just click "I don't have a licence" and win 10 will continue install and then check activation servers on completion - all your licence info is stored on MS servers.

Robel Mekonnen

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2015
Im not sure how old it is but its a custom built pc my friend built. I got into bios and found out these are the specs.
AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor
CPU ID 0100F53h/010000C8h
3.20ghz(200x16)
BIOS version V3.11 05242011
Physical Memory 4096MB
Cache Size 2048KB
I already put Windows 10 on the usb and plugged it into the PC but Im not sure how to boot from the usb. Im in the BIOS but I dont see anything where you can setup the boot order if thats the right way to do it?

Robel Mekonnen

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2015
Ok so I booted from the usb. Now I opened notepad and am trying to copy and paste my hard drive to my external hard drive but I got this error message https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSBqPQwAx_DJVEOjkW1rs5331Hrdn0nO/view?usp=drivesdk
I tried try again but it doesnt work and I clicked skip but now the computers frozen. It looks like this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSLPDHF61zGjxM5zuyvCs0C2LR-oSDMd/view?usp=drivesdk
Also one question if I do the reset with keeping personal files will I keep everything that was on the desktop?