[SOLVED] Computer not loading anything after signing in, can't reset/safe mode/etc.

nanocyborg

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
Hello!

(this is an Acer swift 3 and this is win 10)

[This guy has the EXACT same problems as me: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pchelp/comments/dbjey4/ram_malfunction_or_somethin/
]

Earlier today, out of nowhere (I was just browsing YouTube iirc) my laptop BSOD with the little smiley face. Thought, <Mod Edit> that's not good but don't worry too much.

Since then I haven't been able to get past what's described in the title. I load up the computer, and it's noticably slower, get to the login screen and after I input my stuff it takes between 1-5 mins to get actually into my computer.

After this, it pops up with an icon-less background, with the lower bar when hovered over in a perpetual loading loop. I've been able to load up taskmanager, I can right click, I can drag, but that's about it. When I load taskmanager, I've tried to reset explorer.exe and it won't let me.

(forgot to mention: one time I just let it sit on the desktop for a long time, and eventually something came up for something like SystemPropertiesPerformance. Anyways, I clicked yes for this and it popped up something about windows creating a temporary paging file. I clicked into this, and it brought me to the performance processor scheduling window, and I just clicked for the programs to be prioritized or something, but nothing happened after I pressed apply. So that seemed to be a bust.)

I've tried to boot to ALT+F10, but none of the options work. Resetting just tells me "sorry can't reset", startup repair says they didn't find anything, I have no savepoints apparently, etc.

I guess my last option would be to load up windows into a USB then onto my PC?

Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
are these its specs?
  • 14-inch IPS display, 1920 x 1080.
  • 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz with boost up to 4.1GHz.
  • 8GB of RAM.
  • 512GB SSD.
link

so i wonder why it feels need to make a paging file that should exist already.

Sounds to me like somethings wrong with the ssd itself

nanocyborg

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
are these its specs?
  • 14-inch IPS display, 1920 x 1080.
  • 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz with boost up to 4.1GHz.
  • 8GB of RAM.
  • 512GB SSD.
link

so i wonder why it feels need to make a paging file that should exist already.

Sounds to me like somethings wrong with the ssd itself

Yeah that's what I've been thinking, either RAM or SSD/HDD issues. Let me check after class to see if I have an SSD or not, but I think that's accurate.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What's the combination during startup to get into BIOS? Sorry, bit of a tech idiot with this certain laptop.
should be F2 - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577901/how-to-boot-bios-first-in-acer-swift-3
It shouldn't be ram if it increased page file, thats on the ssd.
all the slow response sounds like an ssd.

startup repair never finds anything. i don't think safe mode would change anything. either need a new ssd or you take it in for repairs as its possible its something else.

nanocyborg

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
should be F2 - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577901/how-to-boot-bios-first-in-acer-swift-3
It shouldn't be ram if it increased page file, thats on the ssd.
all the slow response sounds like an ssd.

startup repair never finds anything. i don't think safe mode would change anything. either need a new ssd or you take it in for repairs as its possible its something else.

When he mentioned before the setup defaults, he means the very exact thing that says "setup defaults" in the BIOS right? And additionally, is this just gonna wipe my data?

Yeah it seems you're probably right, that's the most likely I've seen so far from the people.ive asked. Would you reckon this SSD is kaput? Or could I still get my files off of it? (Ikik, I'm stupid for not having backups)

Colif

Win 11 Master
When he mentioned before the setup defaults, he means the very exact thing that says "setup defaults" in the BIOS right?
Yes. set bios to default.

And additionally, is this just gonna wipe my data?
it doesn't touch ssd

I think its sort of working as if its only drive in PC and it gets you to desktop but slowly, it sort of works. I would buy a new ssd and copy your info off it while it still sort of works.

Reactions: nanocyborg

nanocyborg

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
Yes. set bios to default.

it doesn't touch ssd

I think its sort of working as if its only drive in PC and it gets you to desktop but slowly, it sort of works. I would buy a new ssd and copy your info off it while it still sort of works.

I appreciate the help! Doesn't seem like resetting the settings did anything, haha. Ill be building a proper desktop soon anyways, but thank you a lot for your help!

If I can ask one more question, assuming you know it, what would I use to transfer everything over to another ssd/HDD since I can't actually access the files on this PC right now? My friend mentioned something about a USB caddy, but couldn't find much.