Computer not posting with graphics card installed

covathalis

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello Tomshardware fans,

I recently built my second computer but am running into a slight problem. When I install the GPU I can't get anything to appear on my monitor. Nothing comes up and eventually the monitor displays "no signal detected". If the GPU is taken out and the cable is plugged into the MB then everything works fine. I've tried replacing the GPU for another one of the same kind, tried moving the card between the two PCIE 3.0 slots, tried the direct 6pin cable from my PSU and the power adapter that came with the GPU, and tried using HDMI and DVI cables.

If anyone has any idea of what might be wrong I'd really appreciate it.

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo

Rosewill FORTRESS Series FORTRESS-550w

Radeon HD 7770 PMD1GD5GHz Edition 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate the help.

Scraptag

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
My son is having a similar problem with his graphics card. We just went back to Micro Center today to exchange it for a new one.
Can I ask you to verify if we have it plugged in correctly?
We plug the card into the pcix port on the motherboard. Then we plug in the 6 pin to the graphics card, and the other end into the power supply. Do we use the power supply cord with the red end for pci express?
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will end here and start a new thread if this is confirmed.
Thanks

prototype18

Distinguished
Well does the card work in another pc ?

I said reset not update :D Just remove battery leave it w/o it for 10 minutes and than restart it.

Try placing another gpu . Borrow it just to test.

I dont think all the slot's are faulty. Maybe the card is

covathalis

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

I'll try resetting it when I get home but I have already tried a second graphics card and the exact same thing happens, so I'm pretty sure it's not the card anymore.