Question Computer not powering when Video Card is inserted

biggielolol

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
So a few days ago my GTX 970 died and I got a temp replacement that my friend tested and sent me (unused GTX 690.)

I am having an issue though, when I try using the GTX 690, my computer doesn't power on, no motherboard power light or anything, its seemingly dead.

I tried changing PCIE slots, checking to make sure everything is seated properly but to no avail.

When I switch back the DVI cable to my onboard graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000) my computer works fine and everything.

My first thought was checking BIOS which I reset to default, now im thinking my PSU could be dying, anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

Specs:

Antec EarthWatts EA650
Gtx 690
GA-Z77X-UD3H
i5-3570K

Last edited:

biggielolol

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
If you are sure that everything has been done correctly, the PSU is definitely to be tested.
The PSU is very old, roughly 8 years, how could I isolate that it is indeed the PSU and not something miniscule? I am assuming its not a bios setting or something.

Also for note the reason I figured it was my GTX 970 that died and not an issue with the PSU was because there was a pop sound and smoke actually came out of the GPU

So a few days ago my GTX 970 died and I got a temp replacement that my friend tested and sent me (unused GTX 690.)

I am having an issue though, when I try using the GTX 690, my computer doesn't power on, no motherboard power light or anything, its seemingly dead.

I tried changing PCIE slots, checking to make sure everything is seated properly but to no avail.

When I switch back the DVI cable to my onboard graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000) my computer works fine and everything.

My first thought was checking BIOS which I reset to default, now im thinking my PSU could be dying, anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

Specs:

Antec EarthWatts EA650
Gtx 690
GA-Z77X-UD3H
i5-3570K
Replace the power supply. It's not sufficient for running a GTX 690 with nearly double the power requirements of the GTX 970.

I haven't been keeping up with the best power supplies on the market so I can only recommend buying probably at least a 650-750watt with +12V@54-62A in the specs and with at least a 7 year warranty for hopefully good quality components.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS