Computer not recognising Graphics Card

Jul 22, 2018
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z97 Gaming 5
Graphics Card: MSI Nvidia GTX 970 4G
PSU: Super Flower 550w

I've had this PC for around three and a half years, I put it together myself. I should pre-face this by saying I've never made any upgrades to the Computer and up until now it's served me well.

I had this problem a few years ago, where when I would be playing a game (Say H1Z1 for instance)
My monitor would go completely black, and it'd display the message 'no signal' it would happen
every day I was playing games. I still don't know what the cause of the issue is,
I remember thinking it was either something to do with the PSU or the Graphics Card.
I can't remember what I did, but all of a sudden the problem
seemed to sort itself out.

Now, it's recurring again, although it seems to have come back stronger this time.
Up until the other day I could play Fortnite fine with no errors, then I got the dreaded black screen
followed up with me having to restart the computer using the power off and on button.
In the event viewer this would always display as 'Critical Kernel-Power 41 (63)

This has been happening every day, I thought at first it was Fortnite but having tried to
play Overwatch, I realise it's actually a problem with my Computer. The main issue right now
seems to be the Graphics Card, currently. I'm not even doing anything but typing this out
and the Graphics Card metal pipes are red hot to touch and the fans aren't spinning.
Also the Computer isn't even recognising the Graphics Card (dxdiag just says Basic Display Driver)
but my DVI cable is plugged into the Graphics Card so I don't know how it's displaying
onto my monitor.

Is my Graphics Card completely knackered?

Really appreciate any help I can get on this, causing me lots of stress

Solution
you are creating a real fire hazard with that description. Based on what you said I would assume that your fans are dead causing the Card to overheat, then due the system doing what it's supposed too and shutting down before it explodes...... you need to address that immidiatly, either address the fans on your current GPU, it's likely toast or get a new card asap.
you are creating a real fire hazard with that description. Based on what you said I would assume that your fans are dead causing the Card to overheat, then due the system doing what it's supposed too and shutting down before it explodes...... you need to address that immidiatly, either address the fans on your current GPU, it's likely toast or get a new card asap.

Solution

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017
oh god its overheating and try to set your fan speed to 100% via msi after burner then try again maybe increase airflow on ur case or change the case entirely if its a heating issue

TRENDING THREADS