Question Computer not recognizing M.2 SSD unless restarted multiple times ?

Jan 8, 2021
Hello, my computer when turned on will load into BIOS & show my two HDD’s that are only used for storage, but not my boot drive, an M.2 SSD.

The build is about 4 years old, I don’t recall it doing this when I first finished it. For sure about a year ago it would very rarely boot into BIOS & not show my main SSD, only the other two drives. I would turn the computer off & on & it would work normally for a couple starts. It began doing it about every other time I turned the computer on but a power on & off would fix it. This stopped working & actually turning off the power supply switch, waiting a couple minutes, & flipping it back on, then powering up the computer would fix it.

When it did it on every start up I looked at the motherboard manual to make sure the correct sata ports were used because it does disable some when the M.2 slot is used. Made sure RAM was seated correctly & ran mem test everything checked out. I always thought it was the SSD that was the problem but I’m in the middle of another build so I used a new M.2, fresh install of windows, nothing changed. Switched the power supply over to a brand new power supply nothing changed. Disconnected the two HDD’s, nothing changed. Now it won’t recognize the main drive at all. The whole time this has happened the two HDD were always recognized no matter what. I still have the old SSD & can install windows on a HDD if needed. I just don’t know what to do from here.

i5-6600k 3.5GHz
ASUS Z170-AR ATX LGA 1151
Team Dark 2x8GB DDR4-3000CL16
Original SSD: Intel 600p series 256GB SSDPEKKW256G7
New SSD: XPG GAMMIX 1TB S11 PRO AGAMMIXS11P-1TT-C
HDD’s are a seagate barracuda & WD blue
Original PSU 550W seasonic g series
New PSU 750W phanteks amp

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS