Question Computer not see Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC330 10TB

May 21, 2023
Hello, I purchased a used FUJITSU P757 with 8GB DDR4 RAM and an M.2 NVMe SSD, along with four Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC330 10TB hard drives (bought new a year ago as backup for a server room and still sealed). I want to build a NAS server using TrueNAS Scale software. I have installed Debian 10 and CasaOS on the NVMe drive for now. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't detect the WD hard drive (I have currently connected only one). I read on foreign forums that the issue might be related to supplying 3.3V to the 3rd pin in the power connector from the data connector side. I covered that pin and checked with a multimeter to ensure that the connection between pins 1 and 2 was interrupted.
According to the serial number, I obtained the following information about the drive:

VLA Drive ASM 10.0TB, 512e, SATA P3_PWDIS_Not Support, OEM-STD, Secure Erase

This might explain why covering the pin didn't help.

Upon turning on the computer, I hear error beeps (possibly 4 beeps) and the situation remains unchanged. I have a 3.5" 2TB external WD hard drive with me. I swapped the hard drives' positions. The 2TB drive works normally in the computer, but the 10TB drive, when placed in the enclosure, behaves the same, and the error sounds.
The BIOS doesn't show the drive.

When I enter the command
"sudo fdisk -l,"
the disk is not listed.
In CasaOS, the disk appears as "sda" (WDC_WUS721010ALE6L4 - 9.1 TB), but when I try to format it, I receive the following error message:

Warning: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error Error: Input/output error during read on /dev/sda Error: Input/output error during write on /dev/sda Warning: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error

GParted also shows an I/O error.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I purchased a used FUJITSU P757 with 8GB DDR4 RAM and an M.2 NVMe SSD, along with four Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC330 10TB hard drives (bought new a year ago as backup for a server room and still sealed). I want to build a NAS server using TrueNAS Scale software. I have installed Debian 10 and CasaOS on the NVMe drive for now. Unfortunately, the computer doesn't detect the WD hard drive (I have currently connected only one). I read on foreign forums that the issue might be related to supplying 3.3V to the 3rd pin in the power connector from the data connector side. I covered that pin and checked with a multimeter to ensure that the connection between pins 1 and 2 was interrupted.
According to the serial number, I obtained the following information about the drive:

This might explain why covering the pin didn't help.

Upon turning on the computer, I hear error beeps (possibly 4 beeps) and the situation remains unchanged. I have a 3.5" 2TB external WD hard drive with me. I swapped the hard drives' positions. The 2TB drive works normally in the computer, but the 10TB drive, when placed in the enclosure, behaves the same, and the error sounds.
The BIOS doesn't show the drive.

When I enter the command

the disk is not listed.
In CasaOS, the disk appears as "sda" (WDC_WUS721010ALE6L4 - 9.1 TB), but when I try to format it, I receive the following error message:

GParted also shows an I/O error.
The DC HC330 comes in SATA and SAS flavors. Do you have the SATA version or the SAS version ?

May 21, 2023
Yes I have SATA

VLA Drive ASM 10.0TB, 512e, SATA P3_PWDIS_Not Support, OEM-STD, Secure Erase

May 21, 2023
I downloaded the new BIOS. I connected the computer to the TV using a Displayport->HDMI cable and I have a black screen in the BIOS. After GRUB everything is visible. Only problems...

May 21, 2023
It was under warranty and I got a new one. I have 4 working drives in total. I have included RAID Z1. For now, I'm copying data from an old Synology that had too little capacity. Ultimately, the most important data will be duplicated on it. The less important ones that won't fit on it will only be on TrueNAS