Computer not starting after cpu swap

Occupiedtoilet

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hi, today I put in a new cpu into my motherboard but to find out it didn't work. I put in my old cpu back into my motherboard and now it show anything anymore. Usually, the power button lights up when I press it but now it doesn't. The cpu fan and PSU fan still goes on. Also whenever I press the button on the back of PSU it automatically starts the computer. I have tried putting the cpu back in and out over 10 times but to no avail. Please help me

Solution
I think the current version of your BIOS doesn't support the new processor.

First please give us your Motherboards model number, and also the model numbers of the new and old processors.

If you know your current BIOS revision number, you can check yourself online to see if the new processor is supported.

Incase your not sure, pop the old chip back into the mobo. Once it boots, go online, and flash with the latest version of the BIOS available for your mobo. Also make sure to read the changelogs, to see if support for your new Processor has been added.

If it has been added, you should be able to now use your new processor.

Cheers!
$hawn

thebadkarma

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

When you put in your new cpu in, did you literally touch nothing else and just swap cpus? What does the monitor say? Its plugged in right? lol dumb question, but gotta make sure.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I think the current version of your BIOS doesn't support the new processor.

First please give us your Motherboards model number, and also the model numbers of the new and old processors.

If you know your current BIOS revision number, you can check yourself online to see if the new processor is supported.

Incase your not sure, pop the old chip back into the mobo. Once it boots, go online, and flash with the latest version of the BIOS available for your mobo. Also make sure to read the changelogs, to see if support for your new Processor has been added.

If it has been added, you should be able to now use your new processor.

Cheers!
$hawn

Solution