Computer not starting up properly

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hey there!
Back with another problem, almost exactly one year from the last time.

Recently I received a Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB SSD. When I returned home today, I hooked it up to my computer with a 6/Gbs SATA Cable, and to the power cable from my PSU. Unfortunately when I turned my computer on, no display appeared on my monitor. Assuming this was because my computer was reading the SSD instead of the HDD with my OS on it, I unplugged the Solid State and turned my computer on again. However, upon starting up I had the same issue. No display. Also, the computer didn't even seem to boot up. I can just touch the power button and it will turn off instantly. Very confusing.

I opened up my computer and started looking for issues, and saw the SATA cable to the Hard Drive had come unplugged. I plugged it back in, and I am still having the same issue. I am very frustrated, and am completely lost at what to do. Help please!

Also, the keyboard and mouse which are plugged into the USB ports on the motherboard ARE WORKING. Nothing else is though.

Solution
Giving up. Taking it somewhere to get it repaired/diagnosed. Hsve been trying to fix this for the past 3 days and nothing is working. Unbelievably frustrated. Thank you guys for all of your help. Much appreciated.

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Yep, all the fans are turning on and running. As far as the VGA output, it's the right place. I never unplugged the adapter I had for it, and it had always worked prior to this morning. Not so sure about the SATA cable because that was never unplugged from the motherboard itself.

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Yes, I have.
My other monitor, which is using HDMI, is also not working.

Greenpedro5

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Try just using VGA alone and remove the graphics card should work I think and then install everything on to the SSD and then plug everything back in

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

My computer isn't even booting up though. Will removing the graphics card actually help with that at all? I don't have the SSD plugged into my computer right now, but my normal hard drive is. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the hard drive? If so, would it be possible to recover my files?

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Nope, not at all. Screen just stays blank.
Now my computer is turning on, staying on for about 5 seconds, then turning off again. Then it turns itself back on and follows the same process.
The power supply is a 600w EVGA. So I don't think that would be the issue. I just tried removing the CMOS Battery for 30 seconds, and reseating the RAM, and none of that worked.

Greenpedro5

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
What i can suggest is try taking out no esentials hdds minimal ram graphics cards netwwork cards just to see if you have any sign of life then rebuild it bit by bit turning off and on between extra item to try and isolate the problem.

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Alright, so now my Mobo is giving me the A2 error code, which apparently means "IDE Detect". That is the CD Drive correct? I am still getting no display, and the BIOS screen does not appear. What can I do?

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Do you know how to reset the bios to factory state? That's what I would do. Also, plug everything out and back in to make sure you didn't bump something out of its place. And like others said, first just connect the essentials - CPU, VGA, 1 RAM stick and see if the thing boots.

Oh yea if your VGA has its own power line from the PSU, make sure it's connected.

Jhwx

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Giving up. Taking it somewhere to get it repaired/diagnosed. Hsve been trying to fix this for the past 3 days and nothing is working. Unbelievably frustrated. Thank you guys for all of your help. Much appreciated.

Solution