[SOLVED] Computer not starting up....

Blackink

Distinguished
My son's computer just stopped working. One day he was using it and the next morning it was off and wouldn't start up.
From looking through some Youtube videos, I have some questions regarding testing the power supply.
We built this PC together 5 years ago.
He does some gaming but no overclocking.

Here are the PC Specs:
Mobo: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA 1150
CPU - Intel i5-6600K
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Coolermaster
RAM: G Skills Ripjaws 4 32GB (4x8) DDR4
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660
Power Supply: Cooler Master V Semi-Modular 750W 80+ Gold

I've removed the mobo battery, jumped the RTC Ram jumper pins, this did nothing.

With the motherboard all plugged in, when I turn on the PC, I have a PWR LED light on and that is all that is lit up. No error codes, nothing on the monitor.

When I have the 24 pin & 8 pin power supply plugs unplugged from the motherboard, I plug the power supply back in, turn the power supply back on and I can see that the fan in the power supply starts to turn for a second and so does the fan connected to the CPU cooler. I hear a slight click coming from the PSU but that may be normal. What I don't know is does this power supply suppose to have a constantly running fan? I guess some PSU's have fans that run all the time and other PSU's where the fan doesn't run until it needs to cool?

I have done the paperclip test and once again, the fan turns for just a second and that's it.
I've removed all of the ram and tested one stick at a time, nothing.

I've tried testing the power supply and what I get for readings seem correct depending on what terminal I touch but when I do this, I watch the needle on my voltmeter drop to zero. I touch all of the terminals and the power is there, +12VDC, +5VDC, +3VDC, etc.... but the power seems to dissipate as I touch the terminals.
I don't know if the meter dropping to zero is normal so I'm asking for some help in trying to troubleshoot the PSU to see if it's putting out the way it should.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Update:
I took the PC to a local repair shop. They charged me $25 to diagnose the problem to the power supply being the problem-dead.
The power supply had a 5 year warranty and my son purchased it in September 2015.

I research power supplies here on Tom's Hardware and get another one on order.

Blackink

Distinguished
Update:
I took the PC to a local repair shop. They charged me $25 to diagnose the problem to the power supply being the problem-dead.
The power supply had a 5 year warranty and my son purchased it in September 2015.

Solution
Update:

Thanks for the update. Please start a new thread if you still have problems when a new PSU is installed.