Computer not starting

KSPoppy

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone. My son bought all of the components for a custom build from Newegg.com. He got them in the mail and I assembled the unit. I ran through the list of thing that was stickied about what to do if power comes on but no POST comes up. Still nothing. The only thing out of spec is that he has a 600W psu and has an XFX R9 280X graphics card (says it requires 750W psu). Will this keep the computer from running at all? If not, what am I doing wrong here?

Specs:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
Corsair CX600M psu
Corsair H80i liquid cpu cooler
Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance DDR3
TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI E Adapter
Sandisk 128GB Ultra Plus SSD

few things to check. first check to see if the motherboard is sitting on top of the case standoffs and not shorting out to the case. also check that the metal motherboard shield not shorting the system out. on the motherboard make sure the 24 pin and 4/8 pin power plug is connected. on the motherboard power make sure yu used the ones from the power supply marked cpu and not pci video. also check if he using a video card that all the power plugs are connected. look at his parts order list make sure he ordered a cpu with the right number of pins for the mb. older cpu were 1155 pins the new cpu are 1150. check that the cpu in right and there no bent pins under the cpu. try another power supply to rule out a dead unit.
check that the reset and power pins are on the right swiches and that the reset switch not pushed in and stuck.

KSPoppy

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

To elaborate on what happens when I power on the unit:

I press the power button and the LCDs all light up, fans come on, everything seems to be getting power ok. But nothing shows up on the screen, no BIOS start. just a blank black screen.

KSPoppy

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

I hear no beep whatsoever

KSPoppy

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone. My son bought all of the components for a custom build from Newegg.com. He got them in the mail and I assembled the unit. I ran through the list of thing that was stickied about what to do if power comes on but no POST comes up. Still nothing. The only thing out of spec is that he has a 600W psu and has an XFX R9 280X graphics card (says it requires 750W psu). Will this keep the computer from running at all? If not, what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you- I have tried that list

TRENDING THREADS