Computer not starting

Passionatedtexts

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I'm new here and using my cell. My problem is that my computer has stopped all together.

What it's doing now is constantly restarting on its own, it has a black screen. When it restarts, it shows the intro screen - not Windows, but the Toshiba with the options - press F2, etc.

For a while I was given the options of restarting - I'm not sure what the area is called, but, it has a blue screen and rectangles with start-up options. I'm not getting that anymore.

However, when I did have the options, I tried to restore it, reinstall without deleting personal files, and reinstall and deleting personal files. Each time it came back after a percentage point - each was different btw - it told me that it couldn't go on with it - I can't remember what the exact words were, but, I hope you know what I mean.

Is there anything that anyone can do to help me?

Solution
If you can get into BIOS, then a CMOS clear will not be needed. It sounds like you messed up your OS. Try setting your DVD as the first boot device and insert the OS again. Assuming you are using a disk? if not, what rescue disk are you using? What version of Windows? And of course try restoring your start up. It should appear as an option on the disk.

charliewhiskey

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
If you can get into BIOS, then a CMOS clear will not be needed. It sounds like you messed up your OS. Try setting your DVD as the first boot device and insert the OS again. Assuming you are using a disk? if not, what rescue disk are you using? What version of Windows? And of course try restoring your start up. It should appear as an option on the disk.

Solution

Passionatedtexts

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Part of my problem is that I don't have a disk. When I bought the computer, it never came with a disk. As for the Windows version, it's 10. I downloaded that last year, which, I'm regretting for several reasons which aren't important now.

I do have two external drives. It is frustrating because I don't know if there is anything on one of them that could be of use.

charliewhiskey

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Have a friend download it. I sometimes forget that it might be your only computer. You can change the boot order in Bios to USB. Then plug it in and start the system. It will install a new boot sector and a completely new OS. You did already destroy the old one, yes? Unless you just want to try a repair or restore the startup.

Passionatedtexts

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I tried the repair and restore in the beginning and after awhile it told me that I couldn't move on.

As for the other computer, is it possible to download it on my cell?

There's another computer I could use, but, I would

Passionatedtexts

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I tried the repair and restore in the beginning and after awhile it told me that I couldn't move on.

As for the other computer, is it possible to download it on my cell?

There's another computer I could use, but, I would rather not bother the person if I don't have to.

As for downloading the image, is it free?

charliewhiskey

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Yes, it's free as long as you had either win 7 or 8 before. Win 10 even better. As I recall, it's not very large. here is a link describing what you need.
http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-10-from-usb-drive/

TRENDING THREADS