Question Computer not using RX 580 Graphics?

May 6, 2019
I built my computer roughly a couple months ago and have been mainly playing Overwatch. I was able to get around 60 fps with the graphics settings on ultra. One day I when I loaded the game when I was on the Overwatch home screen my fps dropped to around 10 and would not go back up. I was getting unplayable lag even if I dropped my graphics settings to the lowest quality. I looked and normally my fans kick on from my RX 580 after the game has loaded but nothing was happening. I also tried other games like Apex legends and was having the same issue with performance. I even opened up the Heaven benchmark app and was getting significantly lower performance than I did when I first built the PC. Also when in device manager the graphics card shows up and says "this device is working properly". When trying to play any game like I said before it has been un-playable. Is it possible that my computer isn't recognizing and using my graphics card especially when in games? Thanks in advance for the help.

Currently running on Windows 10
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • Gigabyte RX 580
  • 16 GB ( 2 X 8 ) Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3000
  • Thermaltake TR2-600w power supply
  • MSI B-450 A-Pro

Thermaltake TR2-600w power supply

This might be the culprit. The TR2 units from TK have had a very bad reputation. Don't ask me why though. These are very poor quality, low-end power units. Lowest TIER. I won't advice you to continue using this PSU to power up the RX 580. Do not take any RISK. Did you connect all the PCI-e cables to the GPU ?

That TR2 model cannot be trusted. Not recommended for stressful Gaming sessions. Can you check your PC by using some other PSU ?

ccba7ccf-54bb-4c0e-8fc4-404b51900c61.png

This might be the culprit. The TR2 units from TK have had a very bad reputation. Don't ask me why though. These are very poor quality, low-end power units. Lowest TIER. I won't advice you to continue using this PSU to power up the RX 580. Do not take any RISK. Did you connect all the PCI-e cables to the GPU ?

That TR2 model cannot be trusted. Not recommended for stressful Gaming sessions. Can you check your PC by using some other PSU ?

Agree with this, the issue doesn't clearly point to a PSU issue but the symptoms point either towards the PSU or the motherboard or the GPU, and the PSU has the maximum chances of failing due to the fact that it is a low-quality one, paired with a mid-range system which consumes a decent amount of power.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
If you have fairly recent AMD Radeon drivers you should be able to open up the AMD performance overlay that will display performance data for your GPU. The default keys to activate the overlay is Ctrl+shift+o. This should take out some of the guess work.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I looked and normally my fans kick on from my RX 580 after the game has loaded but nothing was happening.
Just to be sure, you mean the fans on the card aren't spinning at all ? Like 0 rpm ? Then yes, the card is overheating and goes rapidly on thermal throttling... You can try to reseat the card and power connector.

open up the case, look at the GPU and make sure the fan is going round. (They don't spin while in desktop normally)
Using things like Afterburner, you should be able to see the fan spinning and what RPM in game, but of course, if you are in a game you can actually physically see if your fan is spinning.
If it is, play games and run afterburner overlay, you can see if your CPU or GPU have problems, with temp/fans/Utilisation

May 6, 2019
If you have fairly recent AMD Radeon drivers you should be able to open up the AMD performance overlay that will display performance data for your GPU. The default keys to activate the overlay is Ctrl+shift+o. This should take out some of the guess work.
Once I open up that overlay what types of things should I be looking for?

May 6, 2019

I had used a power supply from a friend when building my new set up instead of purchasing one. Any recommendations on replacement power supply's?

May 6, 2019
Just to be sure, you mean the fans on the card aren't spinning at all ? Like 0 rpm ? Then yes, the card is overheating and goes rapidly on thermal throttling... You can try to reseat the card and power connector.
Yes the fans on the card and not kicking on when in an application that requires more performance from the GPU.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Once I open up that overlay what types of things should I be looking for?
GPU Util = Is a % representation of the workload on the GPU. 100% is full load
GPU SCLK = the GPU core clock. It will float around 300MHz when you are just browsing and should hit 1300MHz + when you are gaming (depends on which card variant you have)
GPU MCLK = your memory clock speed. On a RX580 this will probably read around 2000MHz at full load

The above readings will indicate if your card is operating at full potential.

Next is:

GPU Temp = your GPU temperature. It will be probably be 70ºC or higher at full load. Higher than 80ºC and I would start to get concerned. Too high of temps will cause the GPU clock to get throttled back in an attempt to cool things down.
GPU PWR = estimated power draw. Not too important.
GPU FAN = Fan RPM. Depends on the manufacturers cooling solution, but in most cases will probably be over 1000RPM. 0RPM is normal under low load.

CPU Util = Is a % representation of the workload on the CPU. If your CPU is maxed out, this can cripple the GPU performance.
GPU VRAM Util = how much VRAM is being used on the graphics card.
RAM Util = main system memory usage

Reactions: OldGreg28

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yes the fans on the card and not kicking on when in an application that requires more performance from the GPU.
Well,as stated above, just try to remove and replace the card and disconnect and reconnect the PCI-E connector, just to remove the possibility of a bad contact... If you can, try the card in another PC.

May 6, 2019
GPU SCLK = the GPU core clock. It will float around 300MHz when you are just browsing and should hit 1300MHz + when you are gaming (depends on which card variant you have)
GPU MCLK = your memory clock speed. On a RX580 this will probably read around 2000MHz at full load

Next is:

GPU Temp = your GPU temperature. It will be probably be 70ºC or higher at full load. Higher than 80ºC and I would start to get concerned. Too high of temps will cause the GPU clock to get throttled back in an attempt to cool things down.
GPU FAN = Fan RPM. Depends on the manufacturers cooling solution, but in most cases will probably be over 1000RPM. 0RPM is normal under low load.

CPU Util = Is a % representation of the workload on the CPU. If your CPU is maxed out, this can cripple the GPU performance.

May 6, 2019

Next is:

Ok so here is what I figured out. Got into a match of Overwatch and these are the numbers that the overlay were displaying.

FPS: 18
GPU UTIL: 100%
GPU SCLK: 300Mhz
GPU MCLK: 300Mhz
GPU TEMP: 45C
GPU PWR: 29W
GPU FAN: 0RPM
CPU UTIL: Hovering around 8%
GPU VRAM: UTIL: 2.3GB
RAM UTIL: 7.3GB

After reading what you wrote it seems like my GPU SCLK and GPU MCLK are under performing and that might be where my issue is. Any idea how to fix that. I initially had MSI Afterburner to slightly overclock my GPU but uninstalled it later on when I first began having this issue after reading that it might conflict with Wattman. Thanks again for the help.

May 6, 2019
Update: I reverted back to an older driver for the GPU and it is currently working good again. Getting stable fps in game, but my worry is that the issue will come back again. In the past I have reverted back to older drivers twice now and the issue comes back after a couple days. My hope that it is good now and I can actually play games, but i'm worried it may revert back to the issue I was having.

May 6, 2019
Update Again: Currently running Software update 19.4.1 for my graphics card. I originally was on this software update number and then began having my issue. I then updated to the Optional 19.4.3 and my issue went away. A couple days later the problem came back and I reverted back to 19.4.1. My pc would be back to functioning normally again, then again a couple days later I would update the driver to 19.4.3 to get the problem to go away. The problem keeps coming up and it seems like the only temporary solution is to go back and forth between these two driver updates. I think in total I have gone back and forth 3 times. Anyone know why this might be?