**Computer NOT Working!! :( **

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
this is my first DIY, and i just finished putting together my PC. i plug it in and it doesnt work...how do i find out whats wrong with it? how do i go about tracing the problem?

thanks!

d.suzuki

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
A couple of questions first!
Is the switch on the power supply turned on?
Did you have to change the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard?

More questions later!

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::A couple of questions first!
SURE! :D

::Is the switch on the power supply turned on?
yes, the power supply is on, i double checked to make sure.

::Did you have to change the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard?
i dont know what a cmos jumper is, so no...

thanks!!!

d.suzuki

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
On the back of the powersupply (not all units) have a switch on the back. Is it turned on?

If pushed to O - Off
If pushed to | - On

Other things that may help other people here to help give troubleshooting advise:

What systemboard, and CPU are you using?
What powersupply are you installing?
Is your AC outlet 115V(US) or 220V(EU)?

Heh, there might be other questions to be asked.

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::On the back of the powersupply (not all units) have a switch on the back. Is it turned on?
yes.

::What systemboard, and CPU are you using?
-ASUS P4P800SE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail: $90.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131484

-Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Retail: $195.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116171

::What powersupply are you installing?
-Ultra X2 550-Watt Power Supply:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1902625&Sku=TC3J-2082

::Is your AC outlet 115V(US) or 220V(EU)?
i live in the US and its set at 115V

::Heh, there might be other questions to be asked.
go for it, im praying that i didnt waste my $$$

thanks!!!

d.suzuki

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I suppose you have the 20 pin snapped on securely.

Do you have the 4 pin square/power connected, near the CPU socket?

If all power connections are on properly..

The worst thing that could happen, is that you've been shipped a bad PSU. It has happened to me. I put a system together, hit the power switch and... rechecked all connections and... heh nada.

Took the system back, gave me another PSU, fired up.

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
ok, ive checked the comp agian.
i did infact (giggle) have the 20 pin unplugged, but it still didnt work.
so, furiously i nuged and wiggled the power cord and turned the power supply back on. my eyes poped out, the mobo's power LED went on. woo hoo!~ my first comp worked :D

THANKS!!!

but unfortunatly, i have one more question...
i plugged in an old pci video card, and i cant see anything on the screen. am i suppose to have the AGP card, or it doesnt matter?

thanks!!

d.suzuki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
nope, still not working:(
im going to see if i can take out a video card from one of my computers, and install that one to see what happens.

d.suzuki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
i added 2 different video cards and they both still doesnt work.
ive added one from my old PC (AGP) and ive added one from my Mac (AGP). the video card that i was using on my first installation was a PCI.

is there a PCI/AGP power plug or something on the MOBO?

thanks,

d.suzuki.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ummm... be sure not to stick a AGP card that is 3.3v to that interface. If you do, you will fry it, since it's a 1.5v AGP interface.

Though, it shouldn't fit if it was. What is the video card that you are intending to use?

I guess the other question is.. when it was powered on, with the 1st card you had in it... was it beeping?

And if it was beeping, how many times did it beep, in the interval.

Example: 8 beeps..

beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, pause...

Edit: Doh.. don't tell me that board doesn't have an intergrated speaker.. :roll:

Do you have the PC speaker hooked up? Does the case/tower provide one?

Also Asus does have a voice to tell problems in place of the PC speaker. So you need reg speakers hooked up to the onboard sound card jack.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
to get this going you should take a moment and list everything you have installed in the computer.

If you intend to use a pci video card it should work but I think you will need to set it correctly in the BIOS.

I would try with the AGP card you have first to check that it's booting and what not.

Also list your memory and what other cards you have installed, processor the whole bit.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Couple things to keep in mind as your swapping parts around -- whenever you add or remove something from your PC (or other peoples) make sure the power cord between the power supply and the wall is UNplugged.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr.. if you unplug the PC from the outlet, you basically have no ground anymore.

That is one of the purposes for the off/on swich on the back of the PSU.

At least, that is what I thought.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
so long as you mantain contact with the computer (elecrostatic wrist band or hand or arm touching the case) you'll be fine. by doing that your electically neutral to the computer and there can be no static discharges regardless if the machine is plugged in or not. so i always unplug the computer i'm working on and would suggest you do the same. i'm not will to trust $1000+ dollars to 0.25 cent switch :)

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Ok, when you plugged in the 20 pin cable from the power supply you got some lights and activity, but No post. I saw where one person asked if you had the square 4 pin from the power supply plugged into the mother board, I never saw any responce from you!
Is it plugged in also?

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::I guess the other question is.. when it was powered on, with the 1st card you had in it... was it beeping?
no, the case didnt come with any speakers so, i didnt have any speakers plugged in. I guess thats the reason why i didnt get any beeps.

::Also Asus does have a voice to tell problems in place of the PC speaker. So you need reg speakers hooked up to the onboard sound card jack.
as in theres an automated voice that comes on and tells you what the problems are? thats fuckin hot! :D

d.suzuki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::to get this going you should take a moment and list everything you have installed in the computer.
ok, i will as soon as i get home.

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::Do you need to plug your video card directly to your PSU? On the back of it there should be a power plug.

I goto check that up.

d.suzuki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::Ok, when you plugged in the 20 pin cable from the power supply you got some lights and activity, but No post. I saw where one person asked if you had the square 4 pin from the power supply plugged into the mother board, I never saw any responce from you!
Is it plugged in also?

yes, the 4 pin is plugged in. ive checked my power supply but, im still an amateur to know what exactly i should be looking at.

d.suzuki

gersson

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Is your CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connector? Is it properly installed? Did it have thermal compound on it?

Did you plug in your monitor before turning on the PC?
Is at least a keyboard hooked up? Triple check connection even I make simple mistakes :p

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The 4 pin square plug has yellow and black wires. 12V to power the CPU, if I remember correctly.

If you could get/find some speakers to hook up to the soundcard, you might be able to figure out other problems going on.

Might want to reseat the RAM dimms. Be sure they are seated properly.

I hope you seated the CPU/HSF correctly with thermal grease/compound.

Actually, did a company put those parts on for you, or did you put them on yourself?

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Some more about the power supply;

Does your power supply have a voltage switch, you know, 220 or 115 volts?

And check your manual for the Clear CMOS pins please, to be sure they are jumped correctly.

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
this is my first DIY, and i just finished putting together my PC. i plug it in and it doesnt work...how do i find out whats wrong with it? how do i go about tracing the problem?

thanks!

d.suzuki

Have you plugged in the Power-Switch to the right pins on the motherboard?

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
::Is your CPU fan connected to the CPU fan connector?
yes.

::Is it properly installed? Did it have thermal compound on it?
yes, and no but ive pasted the thermal compod on it.

::Did you plug in your monitor before turning on the PC?
yes.

::Is at least a keyboard hooked up?
yes.

::Triple check connection even I make simple mistakes
hehehe. will do!