[SOLVED] Computer occasionally boots, but no display or USB control possible. RDP in works fine

Nov 10, 2020
Hi all, very frustrating issue recently with my computer where it will turn on with fans spinning, lights on keyboard/mouse work, num/caps lock lights work, but no BIOS screen or any display on either monitor. At first I thought this meant it couldn't boot at all, but I discovered I can remote desktop in on my phone and control it fine from there. Mouse and keyboard still do not work when connected in this fashion but not sure if this is normal. I notice that when the cables in the back aren't bunched up, ie moving computer from out of the desk it works more consistently.

This normally happens in the beginning of the day after computer has been off for the night and takes a few tries to work normally (BIOS screen, display shows, etc). Sometimes I also encounter freezes where the display hangs and after a hard power off I have trouble booting again.

My specs are:
  • CPU Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
  • Motherboard ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155
  • GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB G1
  • 4x 4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz (?)
  • Cooler Master USP-100 case with built-in 550W PSU
  • Various SSDs and HDDs
The case and CPU are around 7-8 years old from when I first got my PC. Are there any immediate upgrades that would seem useful?

Thanks!