Question Computer only boots after multiple tries

Jul 9, 2019
Hello,
Short version of the problem: Windows 10 wont boot on the first few attempts, and the number of attempts to boot before a successful try is growing from originally (1 restart) to now around 7 or 8. If the computer is on for a while or "warm" it can reboot/power down and come back up just fine, and while its on, it runs completely normally. If its been off for a while, or "cold" the computer boots only after "warming up" seemingly. Also sometimes after a long sleep mode the internet wont come back up with the OS.

Setup: Threadripper 2950x, Gigabyte x399 Aorus Pro - RTX 2070 - m.2 NVME as main drive with Windows 10, 7200rpm hard drive as storage - 850w power supply. Whole build is about 9 or 10 months old

Things I've tried that gave no noticeable effect: Disabling fast boot - Disabling hibernation settings - Numerous driver updates, malware scans, etc - attempted to repair Mbr/boot files - Command prompt "sfc, chkdsk, etc" show no discernible errors on the disk - windows startup repair - switched power supply - changed CMOS battery - new power cable.

I'm out of ideas at this point besides Windows Reset, or new MoBo but I wan to know first if anyone else might have ideas to what could be the issue? Again, once its on, everything behaves normal, no difference in anything from usual. The system runs cool, well within thermal limits on everything as far as I can tell.

I agree with onespeedbiker, it sure sounds like a failing hard drive. I'd make a full system backup with something like the free version of Macrium Reflect to an external hard drive ASAP. Have you done a full scan of that hard drive? I see you said you ran chkdsk, but unless you did a full scan, you could easily miss failing sectors.

Jul 9, 2019
I agree with onespeedbiker, it sure sounds like a failing hard drive. I'd make a full system backup with something like the free version of Macrium Reflect to an external hard drive ASAP. Have you done a full scan of that hard drive? I see you said you ran chkdsk, but unless you did a full scan, you could easily miss failing sectors.
Okay I'll look into that, is there a disk scan tool in particular you'd recommend over others?

If you can't enter the BIOS until after your PC "warms up" than it's more likely a PSU or your Motherboard. Unfortunately there is no accurte software to test either, so you either have to take it to a PC repair store, or replace the PSU/ motherboard and see if it solves you problem; I would start with your PSU.

Jul 9, 2019
If you can't enter the BIOS until after your PC "warms up" than it's more likely a PSU or your Motherboard. Unfortunately there is no accurte software to test either, so you either have to take it to a PC repair store, or replace the PSU/ motherboard and see if it solves you problem; I would start with your PSU.
I've tried a new PSU yesterday and that didn't seem to do it. I'll try once more tomorrow after its sat overnight with the hard drives removed and see if it still hangs up.

Jul 9, 2019
Alright so, I'm even more lost now. I'm pretty certain its not the hard drives, BUT with ALL hard drives disconnected, the MoBo boots to BIOS immediately on the first try with no issues. Once even the storage drive is connected however, the issue of freezing on startup into the BIOS persists again.

I bought a new m.2 drive put a fresh install of Windows 10, and tried every combination of the three drives (Old m.2 drive + storage - Old m.2 drive alone - New m.2 drive + storage - New m.2 drive alone - storage drive alone) - All of these resulted in the computer failing to boot into windows or BIOS until multiple attempts were made. Only starting with No Drives at all would boot correctly to the BIOS on first try.

So it seem the issue is being brought on by the drives being connected, but it is in my view, not the result of failing drives. I'm just assuming the MoBo now, as that and the CPU are the only culprits left.

Any ideas why this behavior is happening/what specifically might have gone out on the board?