Question Computer only powers on if plug removed and then plugged back in?

uptown47

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Hi folks, this is a really strange problem that is beyond my knowledge to identify so I'm throwing the towel in and bringing out the big guns! (i.e. you). I'll try and give you as much detail as I can but, if you want more then please let me know.

I have a HP Pavilion PC running Windows 10. I use it inside an arcade cabinet I built to run some software called MAME that emulates arcade games.

I set the BIOS up so that putting power on to the PC should power it up automatically ( I think the setting is called 'power recovery' or something along those lines).

This worked great for a few weeks. However, last week I noticed that when I plugged the computer in - it didn't boot up - however, if I unplugged it and plugged it in again, it booted up normally???

Some things that I have noted that might help you deduce what could be the issue.....

1) The 'plug' that I'm referring to actually powers up an extension socket with lots of other things plugged in to it - so I'm positive that when I plug in the PC is getting power as lots of other things spring in to life. However, the PC shows no signs of life at all - no LEDs on the mobo and no fans going or anything like that.

2) When I first plug the PC in (and it doesn't power up) the actual local PC 'power on' button doesn't work either. I've tried holding in on for 5 seconds or pressing it rapidly but - nothing?!?!?

3) When I "double plug" it to get the PC on and it powers up - if I then press the actual PC power button then the PC powers off (which is what you would expect - so that proves that the button is working?? )

4) When the PC does power on - there are no errors - no "checking drives" - nothing that would suggest anything is untoward.

So... that's my mystery... I know a bit about PCs but only enough to get me in trouble... not enough to get back out of it!!

My thoughts (for what it's worth)....

I wondered if it could be a shorted power switch - it's somehow 'normally closed' instead of 'normally open'?? But I've no idea how that would happen? Or whether that would give me these symptoms?? The power switch is changing when pressed as evidenced by the fact that, when the PC is on, the switch will turn it off.

Or... I thought about some sort of CMOS battery (not sure if PCs still have them??) I just remember back in the day that old PCs would complain their CMOS battery was going? Maybe powering on once charges up some capacitors somewhere and then powering off/on again gives it a kick into life?? However, the time/date settings are always fine with the PC so I don't know if I'm talking rubbish there??

Any thoughts??