Question Computer only shows display with rx560 but not with r9 290 or rx 480.

Mar 7, 2019
Hello I am asking for help because I'm stuck. So I was trying to upgrade my friends pc with a better graphics card but when installing the ASUS r9 290 and plugging in the display port and turning it on nothing came up on the display but the computer turns on and the fans spin on the card. I thought the card was dead so i got a rx 480 and the same things happens but when I install the xfx rx560 its boots and runs normally. Any ideas what it could be? I don't know if the cards are not compatible with the motherboard. I'm also a noob with computer so dont roast plz. Thanks

Mobo: Crappy Intel Corporation DZ68DB
CPU: Intel i7 2600k
Ram: 4x4gb DDR3
Drive: Micron M600 500gb SSD
PSU: Thermaltake TR700w

Using and hdmi port btw.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? I would look at the PSU to be one of the issues. Have you tried working with the seemingly dead R9 290 and RX 480 on a donor system with a more reliable PSU? The TR unit you have isn't exactly reliable and I'm assuming it's as old as the processor it's powering. If so, you're going to need a better unit. FYI, the RX 560 draws less power than the other two cards, about 100W less.

Mar 7, 2019
Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? I would look at the PSU to be one of the issues. Have you tried working with the seemingly dead R9 290 and RX 480 on a donor system with a more reliable PSU? The TR unit you have isn't exactly reliable and I'm assuming it's as old as the processor it's powering. If so, you're going to need a better unit. FYI, the RX 560 draws less power than the other two cards, about 100W less.
I don't think its the power supply I switch the old one it had it was a generic 500w. I also knew the card was gonna draw more power that's why i got a 700w psu. I also think it might be the bios but I read that it didn't help for someone with the same problem. idk

First off all, even though the PSU might not be the culprit as you claim, please AVOID using this power supply. The Thermaltake TR/TR2 power supply is a VERY poor/inferior quality model, and they all have had bad reputation in the past as well. Don't ask why, but I've read many horror stories regrading this TR2 Model.

Not recommended for heavy GAMING PCs. Replace this PSU ASAP. That's a very low-end TIER power supply. These TR2 models are mostly listed under the lowest category in the PSU hierarchy list. I won't advice you to use this TR2 Model. There is some risk factor. Grab yourself some other high quality power supply unit.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019
Okay im going to trust you and try to avoid that psu for now. What im going to do and shouldve dont a while ago is test the cards on a spare computer with different components. I'll update in a few hours or tomorrow.

Mar 7, 2019
Hello I am asking for help because I'm stuck. So I was trying to upgrade my friends pc with a better graphics card but when installing the ASUS r9 290 and plugging in the display port and turning it on nothing came up on the display but the computer turns on and the fans spin on the card. I thought the card was dead so i got a rx 480 and the same things happens but when I install the xfx rx560 its boots and runs normally. Any ideas what it could be? I don't know if the cards are not compatible with the motherboard. I'm also a noob with computer so dont roast plz. Thanks

Mobo: Crappy Intel Corporation DZ68DB
CPU: Intel i7 2600k
Ram: 4x4gb DDR3
Drive: Micron M600 500gb SSD
PSU: Thermaltake TR700w

Using and hdmi port btw.
Update: I tested the card and they work I also tried a different working power supply and no luck. Now what I’m suspecting is the bio version. The last version was in 2011 but I’m having problems flashing the bios to the new version.

Last edited: