Computer only uses half my ram

Midnight013

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Does anyone know why my computer recognizes that I have 8 GB of RAM installed but is only using 4GB?

I recently took my computer apart to clean the dust out of it, reapplied thermal paste, and when I started it up again, I had this issue so I feel that is most likely a hardware issue. I did test both sticks and used them one at a time - they both work so I don't think its a faulty RAM stick.

Not sure if this matters, but when I used system requirements lab, it also only registers 4GB of RAM.

I have not made any hardware upgardes and the PC was working just fine prior to the cleaning.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
Motherboard: MSI-970A-G46
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
CPU: AMD FX-6300
RAM: 2x (DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9S -4GBXL) G.Skill Ripjaws X

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
^ Definitely a valid comment.

Sounds like all was fine before the 'clean' though Tradesman. Never heard of the issue appearing later (usually it'll appear from the outset, or not at all), but if the OP cleared their CMOS etc, it may have reset any 'tweaks' they'd done in the past.

Midnight013

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
I am using DIMM 2 and 4.

After swapping the RAM sticks positions, it now says "Installed RAM 8.00 GB (3.95 GB Usable)." The 3.95 part is new, it didn't say that before, it would just say 8.00 GB.

Edit: I didn't do any software cleans or resets, only hardware. I've had my computer for almost 2 years now and never had any issues before.