Computer or Electrical Engineer?

BboyDfresh

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
So it may be a little early, but I'm in Grade 12 and making the decision of going for electrical engineering or computer engineering. Electronics, but mostly computers, fascinate me, and I'm not sure on which path to take.

Solution
I know a lot of people who have done their electrical engineering degree and have a wider choice.

One works as a network engineer, running and maintaining the hardware for an airport, others have gone onto being programmers. You will learn more about the physical hardware with the electrical. Unless you are sure what you are wanting to do, a job that is covered better under the computer degree. Keep both in mind when choosing what to study but most requirements should overlap.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Personally I would look at the electrical engineering degree. I believe you would have more job opportunities but you're young enough to check them out and see what you think of some introductory college classes.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I know a lot of people who have done their electrical engineering degree and have a wider choice.

One works as a network engineer, running and maintaining the hardware for an airport, others have gone onto being programmers. You will learn more about the physical hardware with the electrical. Unless you are sure what you are wanting to do, a job that is covered better under the computer degree. Keep both in mind when choosing what to study but most requirements should overlap.

Solution

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
There is just so much work for electrical engineers out there. Up here in Edmonton without even looking I know of 3 companies. If the drive is there then the pay is very good as well. The position open at our shop is for engine controls and I know pay starts at $27 but goes up drastically with experience and ability. The last fellow was making more than 100k a year. Now this job isn't a regular office/shop one as they head out to sites which can be 800+ miles away.

kungfury7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I don't know if this may help, but maybe you should check out Berkeley's EECS program :

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/

Not trying to endorse them or anything, but the program is called "Electrical Engineering and Computer Science" ; in the later years you can choose to focus on electrical engineering rahter than software as well. In the long run you will have knowledge in both electrical engineering and computer engineering. Personally, I would recommend computer engineering since there is still more room to grow in the industry, and exciting inventions are popping out all the time. But in the end, just choose whichever interests you, since it will become a big part of your life. Hope this helps.