Question Computer over-working

Jul 8, 2021
Hi, so this issue is kinda weird, at least for me. My computer is constantly running fast and hot like it's downloading a huge update or running a video game even when I have nothing going on. The fan will run fast and, what's weirder, randomly slow down for a second or two before speeding back up again. The processing light will sometimes constantly be on, again like it's doing something big, or sometimes it isn't, but the computer keeps running fast the whole time. Writing this now, I had left my computer on its own for over an hour and coming back the display was off, as it should be, but the computer was still running fast for whatever reason even though nothing was going on. When I look in the processes of the Task Manager, I cannot find anything that is using a lot of memory or CPU.

I should note that when I boot from my second hard drive it does not do this. Something on this hard drive is making it run really fast all the time.

Basically I am just looking for someone to tell me how to find whatever program is making the processor think there's a lot going on so I can kill it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The fan will run fast and, what's weirder, randomly slow down for a second or two before speeding back up again.

At least this part is normal, when the automatic fan control is enabled, the fan speed will go up and down depending on the CPU temperature.

Did you uninstall all the apps that you don't use anymore?

BTW, what Windows are you using on this hard drive?

Jul 8, 2021
Did you uninstall all the apps that you don't use anymore?

BTW, what Windows are you using on this hard drive?

I've gotten around to a few, not all. The only big ones I have are games which shouldn't be doing anything when not in use.

Both drives are Windows 10, this particular drive is an SSD I got less than a year ago.

Jul 8, 2021
Looks like, as if you caught a kind of virus, perhaps for bitcoin- or ethereum-mining. In taks-manager, what does it show about CPU-utilization?
CPU hovers between 5% and 12%.

Try to run your computer in Safe mode for a while to see if it runs differently.
I'll give that a shot and report back.

What are your full system specs? And can you run userbenchmark and post a link to your results please?

Processor: AMD FX(tm)=8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
16 GB RAM
64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OW build 19042.1052

Not sure how to do a benchmark I'll look it up.

I can see what you mean now, there is ALOT of background usage going on with your CPU. What kind of security do you have on your system? As someone above has said, you may have picked up some kind of virus or mining exploit. I would try running something like malwarebytes (free version is good) to see if it picks anything up.

Antivirus for Windows 10 | Windows Antivirus | Malwarebytes Windows 10

Jul 8, 2021
I can see what you mean now, there is ALOT of background usage going on with your CPU. What kind of security do you have on your system? As someone above has said, you may have picked up some kind of virus or mining exploit. I would try running something like malwarebytes (free version is good) to see if it picks anything up.

Antivirus for Windows 10 | Windows Antivirus | Malwarebytes Windows 10
I have free malwarebytes and avg. I'll run some scans on them and see if that does anything.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 8, 2021