Computer overheating at simple instructions + causing massive general lag

Jul 11, 2018
Okay, so. I have this PC that I've had for only around a year or two, and I recently started noticing that my CPU might be the cause of the problematics I've experienced lately. Here yesterday I played with a friend of mine in a game of overwatch, and everything was running cool and good as it was supposed to. However along the end of the game (Literally as we were about to win), my CPU started overheating like crazy, and I fell out of the game. My mouse was lagging and that's what mainly caused my concerns, because this PC is, in fact, not very old hardware wise, and the CPU should be more than good enough for these tasks.

Now for the numbers, the CPU is as of now running at 37 C which is more than good, but when this incident happened, it went immediately up to 100% CPU load and 80°C, at which point I was afraid my entire computer would start to melt. This is not the first time this has happened, and I am a little confused as to what would cause this.

Here's a list of the hardware:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz 37 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1070MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. STRIX Z270H GAMING (LGA1151) 30 °C
Graphics
Acer XB281HK (3840x2160@60Hz)
BenQ XL2411T (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Gigabyte) 48 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA ) 35 °C
223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

This is what I think would have caused this:
Windows
- As far as I know, Windows has been a huge troublemaker when it comes to taking up CPU load in the background, this might very well have been the cause.

The Liquid cooling:
- The liquid cooling that is attached to my CPU has problems applying the correct amount of cooling to the CPU

Thermal paste
- This might be the last reason, but could it also be because I need to apply new thermal paste? I mean, if the thermal paste is of good quality, reapplying new thermal paste would not be needed.

I am aware that technically there is an ocean of things that could cause these overheated moments, but I would very much like to hear if all this sound like something else.

I have not overclocked any hardware at any time.

Solution
Besides reinstalling windows.

Try ctrl alt delete and see if its easier getting into task manager this way.

Have a look in msconfig > startup for any processes.

Run malwarebytes

There is a small possibility your PC has been compromised to be a bitcoin miner. I doubt it but something to look into. https://www.informationsecuritybuzz.com/articles/trojan-virus-can-turn-pc-bitcoin-miner-without-knowing/

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
80C for a computer running 100% is high but not fatal.

Did it get any higher?

The problem will be that something sent your cpu to 100%, not the fact that it reached 80C. Have you checked for virus.

Check your windows event log to see if you had any thermal events.

I suggest you run a full memory test "mentest86" and then a CPU stress test "prime95".

Monitor your temperatures.

Well the fact that you are not always facing thermal issues means its unlikely your cooler thats playing up. As Asoroka said 80c for a cpu hitting 100% usage is not exactly surprising especially for a 7700k. The real issue is there is something running in the background that is causing your cpu usage to spike up to 100%. Do you have any apps running? Antivirus doing scheduled scans?

articwashere

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

So, apparently, when I reinstalled windows some time ago, I totally forgot that my antivirus got uninstalled, so that might very be the reason. I'm currently doing a full scan

articwashere

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

As I replied to Asoroka, Apparently when I uninstalled my windows and installed it anew, I forgot that my antivirus had to be reinstalled again, so I'm currently scanning for virus.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

So obviously you're emil.kliver?

Windows 10 does have a habbit of installing updates when it wants, you have no control over that. If scans come up clean and if this happens again check task manager and see what process is acting up.

articwashere

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

Yes I am. I fucked up when I registered for the website, so appparently i registered one with my facebook and one with email. Well, anyways.

The thing is, this has happened regardless of pending updates. There is something in my computer that makes it immediately go to 100%, and what's even worse.
When this happens, I am unable to check anything because of my computer freezing, not allowing me to click on anything thus not being able to view what takes this much process.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Besides reinstalling windows.

Try ctrl alt delete and see if its easier getting into task manager this way.

Have a look in msconfig > startup for any processes.

Run malwarebytes

There is a small possibility your PC has been compromised to be a bitcoin miner. I doubt it but something to look into. https://www.informationsecuritybuzz.com/articles/trojan-virus-can-turn-pc-bitcoin-miner-without-knowing/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS