Computer Overheating, GPU Suspected To Be The Issue

Deflargo

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Starting a couple weeks ago, my computer would overheat and shut down while under high stress like gaming. After running some monitoring programs, I found that my GPU will rise in heat into the 80s before finally shutting off the computer. All other components seem to be normal temps however. I tried changing the fan curve, but then the computer would shut off when the GPU would hit 60 degrees. I've had this computer for almost a year now and this is a pretty new issue. What could be the problem?

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-6700k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
RAM: 16GB DDR4
(Everything else is unknown ATM, but probably irrelevant.)

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Can you verify if the GPU fan is turning? 60 Celsius in a little warm but not warm enough that it will shut the PC down. Does the GPU have a maximum set-point that can be software adjusted for the temperature setting? My initial thought is you have a weak or a dead fan in the graphics card.

Deflargo

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I think the fan does work, I could hear it spinning. I should mention that the fan isn't a traditional fan but rather looks like this
GeForce-GTX-1080-Founders-Edition.png

Deflargo

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I don't know but I could probably open it up and find out if necessary.

If you can find out, it would be good to know. The thing is, almost always when someone says their computer shuts down while under load, it's the PSU.

You said that even with the GPU now only getting to 60 it's still shutting down....to me, this rules out the GPU from being the issue. The fact you don't know what PSU you have, tells me you've got a pre-built computer, and depending on the brand, most companies try to save money by using low grade generic PSUs.

Deflargo

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I believe the PSU I have is the SeaSonic M12II 620 80+ Bronze 620W

Ok, interesting. I don't know that exact model, but SeaSonic make very good PSUs and if they say it's 620w, then I'll believe them.....unlike cheap brands that lie about the wattage. 620w should be more than enough for your setup.

So for now I'll assume it not the PSU. As for the GPU overheating, well it's not really, a founders edition card will run hot due to the blower style cooler, temperatures in the 80s are quite normal, this shouldn't cause any harm.

Have you updated the graphic drivers lately? I'm not saying the drivers will magically fix the issue, but it's always good to keep them up to date as they have patches to fix driver issues that certain games throw up.

Deflargo

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

I'll update them but I don't think I want to risk testing it for the sake of my hardware.