[SOLVED] Computer part prices in Sweden?

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019
I spend a lot of time going back and forth between the U.S and Sweden. It now looks like I may need to stay there for a few years time span. I usually tote a gaming laptop back and forth, but I would really like to build a good gaming PC. Computer components seem ridiculously more expensive to purchase there than in the U.S. Would I be best off just bringing individual components over in my suitcase and just buying a case there? Will TSA just rip all of the components out of their packages and zap them with static? If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Solution
If you do not want to pay the custom tax, my recommendation is buying the RAM, CPU, graphic card, SSD drives and putting them in your luggage after ripping their boxes, if possible leave the boxes in a safe place in United States. If you are not bringing tens of them, it would not be an issue.

But buy the case, mainboard, HDDs (if you are buying), PSU from Sweden. Case would be heavy, I want to keep mainboard in package, luggage are thrown away so it is not OK for HDDs, and United States uses different voltage for PSU.

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019
I apologize for double posting this, but I realized I put it in the wrong section.

I spend a lot of time going back and forth between the U.S and Sweden. It now looks like I may need to stay there for a few years time span. I usually tote a gaming laptop back and forth, but I would really like to build a good gaming PC. Computer components seem ridiculously more expensive to purchase there than in the U.S. Would I be best off just bringing individual components over in my suitcase and just buying a case there? Will TSA just rip all of the components out of their packages and zap them with static? If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate any advice!

USAFRet

Titan
No, the TSA won't zap them.

But the vastly easier way is to put all those parts in a box, and mail them to yourself in Sweden.
Either way, you'll have to pay whatever Customs tax is relevant.
Which is a large part of why those components are more expensive in Sweden.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If you do not want to pay the custom tax, my recommendation is buying the RAM, CPU, graphic card, SSD drives and putting them in your luggage after ripping their boxes, if possible leave the boxes in a safe place in United States. If you are not bringing tens of them, it would not be an issue.

But buy the case, mainboard, HDDs (if you are buying), PSU from Sweden. Case would be heavy, I want to keep mainboard in package, luggage are thrown away so it is not OK for HDDs, and United States uses different voltage for PSU.

Solution

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019
No, the TSA won't zap them.

But the vastly easier way is to put all those parts in a box, and mail them to yourself in Sweden.
Either way, you'll have to pay whatever Customs tax is relevant.
Which is a large part of why those components are more expensive in Sweden.
You wouldn't have to pay the tax if you just put the components in your checked bag though right?

struganator

Commendable
Nov 21, 2019

That's a solid point with the PSU I hadn't even thought of that. Definitely would get the case over there as it would be silly to try and bring that on the plane. Why would you recommend not bringing the motherboard in the check on?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
That's a solid point with the PSU I hadn't even thought of that. Definitely would get the case over there as it would be silly to try and bring that on the plane. Why would you recommend not bringing the motherboard in the check on?
About PSU as https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/nigel-spike.1994666/ wrote I am wrong. You can bring it however it would be heavy, and probably the price difference would not justify it.

About mainboard:
  1. When we get rid of the packaging, there are too many items, and it is big. I don't know if the customs check that diligently, but still it may be an issue. By the way never get rid of that static package. Electronics would not be OK with clothes, static electric.
  2. Of the pieces I mentioned above only mainboard has a higher risk of failure, and taking it back to United States, and then returning back. Maybe I am over cautious

Last edited: