Computer part watt usage

Paranoid_Trust

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
So with a new build coming I was worried about the impact it would have in my monthly bill. So with a 550 watt computer build I was wondering if that is the watt power drain by the hour or at the moment? My state rate is 20 cents per Kwh (1000 watts) and I should only be using it for about 2 hours a day. Any reply is appreciated :).

1 kilowatt-hour (kWh) is literally a draw of one kilowatt for one hour. One kilowatt for two hours is two kilowatt hours. Half a kilowatt for two hours is one kilowatt hour. Watts are power not energy

A few things: 550W is the maximum the PSU will output, not the target, and it's not the input amount either. Which components you use will have an impact on how much power it uses, as will the PSU's efficiency.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
As a rough rule of thumb I would expect your PC to draw about 250W on average and so it would cost you about 10 cents per day to run .
You would also need to add any other equipment like monitors and printers for example.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
It depends on the specific build/hardware....mainly GPU and CPU being the most power hungry off the rails... Everything else is far more insignificant as far as amperage needs/consumption/TDP, but Power supply ratings are very deceiving somewhat, as well as efficiency being significant.