Computer Performance Issues

chrischaytor1990

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
This post is fairly long so i have marked unimportant details with **
the issue im having is effecting 2 desktops i have split the details on the 2 seperate desktops with a series of _'s to save reading time

below is my summary also located at the bottom of this forum

"all in all i'm pretty sure that the problem is my OS I don't think im infected because I've ran malwarebytes, ccleaner, adwcleaner and zamana but it could be my HDD's too I'm pretty sure that I installed windows on to the PATA HDD in the HP and I think I installed my os on the other tower on a 1.5gb/s 250GB HDD (my boards is 3.0/s)due to it being the biggest HDD available at the time asides from the 250GB which was temporarily housing windows 10 until after the install.

over all I need is somebody to walk me through the diagnostic steps to identifying the issue at hand and then resolving it and honestly Id prefer to do a fresh start anyways so data loss isn't an issue for me I tried downloading a fresh copy of windows from microsoft using my product key but apparently they don't do that anymore and just simply haven't removed the website page, so asides from going out and spending $200-$300 on a copy of windows 7 ultimate disc(which is 8 years old btw and yes it has to be Ultimate) from a retailer or asking the guys at the computer shop to install a stable version they use i would need a link to a safe download and most of the hits you find on Google when looking are just blatantly fake"

Hi I'm having performance issues across 2 particular desktops both of which are using windows 7 ultimate 64-bit if getting these to perform the way they use to takes a full wipe down and reinstall of everything I'm willing to do so.

**I recently ordered a GTX 1050 TI, wifi/bluetooth card and I still have a few more things I need to get(HDD/SSD,PSU,CPU,RAM) but i would like to get these computers fully functional before they arrive.

**The 1st one which use to be used as my everyday computer is an hp pavilion a6000n its now basically used as a network adapter my other tower i use has no wifi reader so im locally running internet to it from the pavilion and it also shares everything on the 4 additional drives(i started using it like this when i gave up on this PC last time i tried to determine what was wrong with this tower)

**My brother plays a few things on it now mostly Terraria (in the absolute lowest possible resolution/settings and it runs "OK" like that but its not upto my standards (or the previous standards of this tower itself)) most of the other games are like circa windows xp.

The specs are as follows not sure about a few things as its running right now and its a little late to open it up but i can confirm them later.

CPU=AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2200MHZ
RAM=4GB DDR2 (not sure about MHZ probably 800)
GPU=Integrated Chip Set(Not sure right now)(will be replace with MSI geforce 210 1GB)
Power Supply=225W(I think)
HDD's(not sure on models)
1 x PATA HDD 250GB
1 x SATA HDD 250GB
3 x SATA HDD 80GB, 140GB, 160GB(one of these has a partition I'd like to remove)

prior to getting this tower i was running vista on a DELL Inspirion 1720 with a 1.6GHZ CPU (instead of the normal 2.0-2.2 i believe it was suppose to be)it had only 1GB-2GB RAM and this tower was an upgrade at the time now both my towers are unable to do things the inspirion still can

a few of the things i was able to do on the Hp Pavilion and now cannot is

-watch movies i was using GOM Player and everything ran fine little bit of FPS drop when Ever i tried to play 1080p blue ray quality files and now i get lag no matter what im viewing and across absolutely all programs GOM, VLC, MPC, POT, WMP, ETC... and worse than what it was before with 1080p (youtube/putlockers are even worse).

-gaming I use to play primarily minecraft, Diablo 2, Half life 1&2 and had a bunch of games i didnt really play but they all ran perfectly on this desktop until i last did a restore to get a fresh start on my pc just before that i started to play Don't Starve Together locally during lan parties i hosted i ran this on my desktop for a month or 2 before i restored it and after installing everything including redistributables it runs at about 5fps in the menu in-game is a just under 40FPS if i recall(the inspirion could barely handle this and was only played on it out of desperation to keep playing but can still handle it better than the pavilion can now)

**(here's some extra info if you know minecraft at all i was running a cracked launcher and using v1.7.10 with forge mod loader and optifine video optimizer and any where from 70-120 mods installed 70 was almost 100% stable with the optimization settings i had and i only really ran with 120 when i was testing the compatibility with new mods but it still ran better than it does now on both my towers with just forge and optifine completely tuned the same way i had it before no other mods)

-Installing programs that have been routine for me across all os's ive installed most troubling being any type of iso read/mount program including power iso, deamontools, and magic iso(or w/e the last ones called) making it impossible to install anything through iso there was a few more things that didn't install properly but it was a while ago and i cant remember i think 7zip was one of the others.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

my second tower was given to me recently enough and was pretty much the reason i reinstalled windows 7 this computer came from a storage unit (along with another slightly lesser desktop almost internally identical that just needs a new CPU fan and OS and somewhere to put that OS on) it originally had windows 10 and the bios were incorrectly installed i ran windows 10 for a while and then became aware of the 100% HDD usage error that i was suffering from due to windows 10 so i quickly downloaded a torrent of windows 7 ultimate (it was a while ago i couldn't tell you which torrent it was) i installed and because i wasn't really using the hp at the time and the newer tower was already under a significant amount of stress i didn't notice anything wrong (should also be noted that during all this i was living with no wifi and downloading all my resources including the OS via Tim Hortons wifi using either my iphone 4s or my brothers laptop occasionally) and ran the install on to a separate HDD and then began transferring all the things i cant just download over from the windows 10 drive and ive been running with this os since this was early 2017 i got this tower here are the specs

CPU=i3-2100 @3.1GHZ
Ram=4GB DDR3(also not sure of MHZ hopefully 1333)
GPU=Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB (upgrading to GTX 1050 TI)
PSU 400w
MOBO=intel h61 express mobo "H61M-P23 (B3)"
HDD's= 2 x 250GB

issues i have on this one aren't as noticeable as the HP because i basically haven't seen this PC healthy before, but it hasn't been able to run things i now it should like Movies are only slightly better than the HP is and minecraft will run very choppy on this tower and i know it to be a better system all around compared to the HP which when it was healthy was capable of running this better than both my intel board (is right now) and the inspirion 1720.

Ive been having some start up troubles as well mainly whenever the board loses power whether it be from a power outage or me switching my PSU off after a shutdown to unplug for cleaning it will occasionally wipe the CMOS for no real reason i can identify the first time i got lucky and found a jumper pin on another motherboard i have and that allowed me to reset them manually and occasionally it will just get stuck in boot but i think this is due to my 11 year old secondary 250GB HDD is failing(this isn't happening from the CMOS battery being touched or removed)

i recently updated my bios from v17.1 to 17.6 (MOBO support states not to exceed 17.6 with sandy bridge CPU) and since then ive been getting this message at boot up saying "UNDI driver for aetheros PCIE ethernet controller v1.0.0.2" I read somewhere that it means my bios is trying to boot from a network device but ive set the HDD with my OS on it to be the main boot

all in all i'm pretty sure that the problem is my OS I don't think im infected because I've ran malwarebytes, ccleaner, adwcleaner and zamana but it could be my HDD's too I'm pretty sure that I installed windows on to the PATA HDD in the HP and I think I installed my os on the other tower on a 1.5gb/s 250GB HDD (my boards is 3.0/s)due to it being the biggest HDD available at the time asides from the 250GB which was temporarily housing windows 10 until after the install.

over all I need is somebody to walk me through the diagnostic steps to identifying the issue at hand and then resolving it and honestly Id prefer to do a fresh start anyways so data loss isn't an issue for me I tried downloading a fresh copy of windows from microsoft using my product key but apparently they don't do that anymore and just simply haven't removed the website page, so asides from going out and spending $200-$300 on a copy of windows 7 ultimate disc(which is 8 years old btw and yes it has to be Ultimate) from a retailer or asking the guys at the computer shop to install a stable version they use i would need a link to a safe download and most of the hits you find on Google when looking are just blatantly fake

Solution
You definitely need to break this post down into manageable sections dealing with each PC with each problem. When I got to the part about downloading a random windows 7 ultimate ISO I bailed.

I have almost the exact same Athlon configuration here and I all it does is run PFsense. I mean that's reaching pretty far back in time and even a basic modern AV product will take 30-50% of the cpu cycles from you.

Mark RM

Admirable
You definitely need to break this post down into manageable sections dealing with each PC with each problem. When I got to the part about downloading a random windows 7 ultimate ISO I bailed.

I have almost the exact same Athlon configuration here and I all it does is run PFsense. I mean that's reaching pretty far back in time and even a basic modern AV product will take 30-50% of the cpu cycles from you.

Solution