Question Computer pixelated crashed (artifcating?) after recent Valorant update, now crashes in every game included COD, Dota, Pubg etc.

Costco2

Reputable
Nov 26, 2020
Hello there,
I had just updated valorant about 2 weeks ago and somehow when I was playing the game, my computer started going into pixelated (artifcating from what I've been reading) mode and crashing forcing me to manually reset:

https://ibb.co/C5KkBjV

https://ibb.co/g3qqbg0

However, I also got this error code once or twice: video scheduler internal error

https://ibb.co/KmSzc7f

I've gone through a ton of different things (reinstall, restore, check temps, etc.) but it still seems to happen, could this be my GPU dying? I also have been watching the temps and they seem to hover between high 60's and low 70's and VRAM is not usually high either.

Specs:
I8-8700k
Asus 1080ti
h100i
z370
Team Dark pro 2 x 8gb ram
Gskill 2 x16 gb ram
1 tb SSD
750 W PSU

Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Last edited:

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Artifacts mean instability, things that could make your GPU unstable are overclocking and damage to the GPU itself. Try undervolting your GPU, even lower than the stock voltage and clock and try some games out. If the issue persists, your GPU might just be dying.

But even if it doesn't artifact when undervolted, a GPU shouldn't really artifact with stock clocks and voltage. A dying GPU will however artifact and be unstable under some sort of heavy load. Like games. Even at stock voltage and clocks.

Costco2

Reputable
Nov 26, 2020
Artifacts mean instability, things that could make your GPU unstable are overclocking and damage to the GPU itself. Try undervolting your GPU, even lower than the stock voltage and clock and try some games out. If the issue persists, your GPU might just be dying.

But even if it doesn't artifact when undervolted, a GPU shouldn't really artifact with stock clocks and voltage. A dying GPU will however artifact and be unstable under some sort of heavy load. Like games. Even at stock voltage and clocks.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I wasn't too sure if it was the right term, I've just been searching pixelated screens and just recently saw people mention it as artifact but it might not be.

I've lowered the voltages before and it seemed to still occur but let me keep it at that level now since I actually moved it back afterward since I didn't think it was affecting it , I will note I do have 4 screens all with various resolutions, but they're only running chrome (While the main screen is running the game on the best resolution), would you think that could be too much of a load?

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Thanks for the advice, yeah I wasn't too sure if it was the right term, I've just been searching pixelated screens and just recently saw people mention it as artifact but it might not be.

I've lowered the voltages before and it seemed to still occur but let me keep it at that level now since I actually moved it back afterward since I didn't think it was affecting it , I will note I do have 4 screens all with various resolutions, but they're only running chrome (While the main screen is running the game on the best resolution), would you think that could be too much of a load?
Try sticking to a single screen for a while, and what you showed us in the picture is in fact very much classic artifacting. If your warranty is still valid, you could RMA it.

Do try various things. but nothing physical. If nothing works, revert it back to stock settings and take it to a hardware technician. It might be damaged but it can probably be repaired for a a slight fee.