Question Computer posts and boots into safe mode but I get a black screen when booting normally

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Hey guys,

I have reinstalled my os and everything works up until a certain point. After I am done setting it up I believe drivers start to automatically install and my screen goes black and I can’t do anything. I reboot multiple times, I can get into the bios, I can get to the recovery screen, but I can get my computer to boot normally because of the black screen. I boot into safe mode to try uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver for my RTX 2080 Ti, but that doesn’t work either. Please help I am stuck!

Edit: if I turn off automatic driver installation everything works so it seems like it’s the nvidia driver causing it

Last edited:

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Are you relying on Windows to install all the drivers? If so you really need to download the Nvidia drivers manually and install them.

No I wasn’t windows kept automatically installing no matter what I tired REG fixes, update fixes, nothing worked. Nvidia is actually RMAing my card! It just sucks that they are making me send my old one back before distributing my new one.

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
So your computer isn't running right now because you have no graphics card? Need motherboard specs, CPU and PSU. Does your motherboard have onboard graphics?

It does but this has been solved. I went out and bought a RTX 2060 just to test it out and once I replaced my RTX 2080 Ti with the 2060 everything started working again.

That's great! For future reference, even with a reinstall and write over, your NVIDIA drivers will can retained and after the install Windows will load them. BTW, if you don't know Widows created a file C:\windows.old that has about 80 gb or so and retains all your personal files. If you leave it alone, windows will delete it in 10 days. If you want to make sure the NVIDIA drivers are gone, first from wither Windows or Safe mode remove them from the Programs and Features tool and then go to c:\NVIDIA folder and delete it.

Last edited: