Question Computer power requirements? Helped needed please!!!

Jul 6, 2019
So I have an ibuypowerpc, Its a great PC
I7-8700
Rtx 2070
16gb ddr4
Etc. https://www.google.com/search?q=ibu...60l3.8115j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

So recently I was noticing in the game I have been playing(league of legends) I was getting like less then 144 fps, which is not ideal bc I have a 144 hz monitor. So I was problem solving and ran into a question I asked my self and idk if its possible.

First off lemme say that I just recently put in 6 rgb fans but before I put those in I was still noticing this problem. Idk how much fans use on the power supply but I can imagine rgb fans using a good amount. So what I was think that, I have a 8 plug power strip. This 8 plug power strip was powering 1 60 hz 1080p monitor, 1 144 hz 1080p monitor, a 60 hz 900p monitor, Led stips, speakers, my computer, and a tiny fan.

What I was wondering is if the reason I wasnt getting good frames is bc my computer isnt getting enough power from the power strip, like would the power strip even allow me to run that much or like is the power strip just limiting the amount of power each thing gets so that I'm not reaching ideal performance. I've tried looking up things about it but I've seen everyone else doing it with out a problem.

But I personally think I have a lot on there and its underpowering my computer, bc when I look at my task manager I see high power usage and my graphics card isnt even running at 100% most of the time, like it'll hit it sometimes and jump down most of the time.

Am I thinking logically about this or should I be looking for other problems for why my games arent running as fast?

Last edited:
Most power strips are 10-15A. That's 1200W.

Each LED fan is about 5W. Monitor is up to 100W. Your CPU + GPU power draw is around 300-350W.

I don't consider LoL as a "twitch" game requiring 144fps to be competitive. But it's also not demanding at all, especially for a system like yours. Do you have any frame rate limiters active in game(?) or via software?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019
Most power strips are 10-15A. That's 1200W.

Each LED fan is about 5W. Monitor is up to 100W. Your CPU + GPU power draw is around 300-350W.

I don't consider LoL as a "twitch" game requiring 144fps to be competitive. But it's also not demanding at all, especially for a system like yours. Do you have any frame rate limiters active in game(?) or via software?
Okay so here's what I see happening. When I first start up playing I get like 300 fps easily, maxed setting with vsync and anti aliasing. I watched my task manager while playing and when I get 300 fps is when my GPU is at 100% utilization but then sometimes my GPU drops to like 20 - 50%. Idk why its doing that. Any ideas?

Check the temperatures of your i7-8700 while gaming. That CPU can tend to throttle on its stock cooler, especially if airflow isn't adequate. If that happens, your graphics card may be waiting for it between rendering each frame.

Also, if you added case fans, how are they all positioned? Which ones are blowing outward, and which ones in? You want air to be flowing through the system, typically in from the front/bottom and out through the back/top, depending on what openings are available. Having 6 fans blowing inward and none blowing out would not be good for airflow. : P

Jul 6, 2019
saw
Check the temperatures of your i7-8700 while gaming. That CPU can tend to throttle on its stock cooler, especially if airflow isn't adequate. If that happens, your graphics card may be waiting for it between rendering each frame.

Also, if you added case fans, how are they all positioned? Which ones are blowing outward, and which ones in? You want air to be flowing through the system, typically in from the front/bottom and out through the back/top, depending on what openings are available. Having 6 fans blowing inward and none blowing out would not be good for airflow. : P
Yeah I got the front and bottom blowing in and top and back blowing out. I looked at my CPU temp and at most it reached 73° when my ac was off in my house so it was already hot where I was. I was looking around on the internet and people are having the same problem with this game. I just wish I could get the fps that I payed for on this game, but I think its the company that messed everything up.