Computer powers on, but no power to usb and no video to monitor.

MegaIntake

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
So I have an older PC I built in late 2015, not the best and parts are all over the place but it was functional for gaming. But now it has an issue where you can power on the computer and get power to all the fans and see the power button LEDs turn on but no power comes to the usb peripherals and no video is showing on the monitor. My computer parts are:

FX-8320 Vishera 8 core 3.2 ghz CPU
Cooler Master Hyper T2
MSI 970a-g43 Motherboard
Zotac GTX 970 4 gig GPU
8 gigs of RAM, 4x2 Gig, 1333 mhz
750W EVGA PSU, 80+ gold
1TB Seagate HDD as the main storage and a 1.5TB WD HDD as a secondary.

I have looked at a lot of forums and tried as much as I could have; Reseating RAM, GPU. I have tried unplugging parts such as the HDDs and only using one RAM stick on 1 DIMM slot. I've tried running it bare with just the CPU (No cooler), GPU (because my board has no onboard graphics), and just the one RAM stick and still get the same results. I have also tried to reset the CMOS but this board has no pin connector so I just tried touching the 2 pins with a screwdriver for 10 seconds with no power and still nothing. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts or spare PC to try these parts elsewhere, though the monitor and my keyboard and mouse still work as I have tried those on my laptop. Am I just out of life with my motherboard or could it just be the PSU? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I know this is going to sound weird but try power cycling the capacitors. Plug the PC in but turn the switch on the power supply to off. Next hit the computers power button to turn it on, it won't power up but might have a fan spin for a second as residual power is released from the capacitors, hit the power button a second time to turn it off. Switch the power supply back on and try to boot the PC normally.

I had an old computer that did the exact same thing as you are describing and this method would allow it to boot. Sometimes I needed to do the power cycle up to 3x to get it to boot, but if it doesn't work after 3 attempts and the fans are spinning then I feel your motherboard might be fried from a power surge.
I know this is going to sound weird but try power cycling the capacitors. Plug the PC in but turn the switch on the power supply to off. Next hit the computers power button to turn it on, it won't power up but might have a fan spin for a second as residual power is released from the capacitors, hit the power button a second time to turn it off. Switch the power supply back on and try to boot the PC normally.

I had an old computer that did the exact same thing as you are describing and this method would allow it to boot. Sometimes I needed to do the power cycle up to 3x to get it to boot, but if it doesn't work after 3 attempts and the fans are spinning then I feel your motherboard might be fried from a power surge.

Solution

MegaIntake

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
I tried your suggestion with the power cycling about 5 times and still no luck. All I have plugged in is the power cord to the PSU and the monitor. It is a dvi to DisplayPort adapter to the GPU if that makes a difference. If it is the motherbkard, I'd be hardpressed to find a AM3+ motherboard these days wouldn't I?

You can still find some AM3+ boards, pcpartpicker shows that some are still available under $125. However, if you are going to go through all the work of replacing the motherboard it would be worth it to just upgrade to a new CPU. Even the R3-2200G is faster than your CPU in single threaded in multi-threaded they are equal. The 2200G just runs much much cooler than the FX. For under $400 you can get a R5-2600, 16GB DDR4-3000, and a B450 motherboard or R5-2600, 8GB DDR4-3000, B450 motherboard, and a 256GB M.2 WD Blue SSD.

MegaIntake

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
Yes sir, I've been meaning to upgrade since it is badly needed but I don't have the money for all of that right now. Guess I'll just have to save for those parts. Would the ryzen series run well with my 970? Probably better than the 8320 right?