Question Computer Powers on then 0.5 second later turns off

May 23, 2019
Hello,

The symptoms currently are, I press the power button the CPU fan spins and all four of the the "Phase LEDs" light up, then after 0.5 second or so everything shuts off.

This happened after I moved all the hardware from one case to another. I was still running a case from 2010 with 1x 60mm and 1x 40mm fan. I also upgraded the power supply. While the motherboard was out I cleaned the whole thing with a can of compressed air. While I was cleaning the CPU area some of the liquid that comes out sometimes got on to the mother board and CPU but I immediately stopped and it evaporated quickly. While working on the system I sat in a chair working on a wood desk and always touched the bare metal of the case before working inside the case. I did not use a ESD band.

After putting the whole computer back together I plugged it in and went to power it on and had the issue stated above. First thing I did was unplug everything plugged in to the PSU and checked it using the the provide PSU jumper and this worked. To double check I plugged everything into the old PSU and the same issue persisted. I then tried everything from the list below with the same rsults.
  1. I Removed the Graphics card, my extra hard drives and only left the RAM and the main hard drive plugged in.
  2. Removed everything including the RAM
  3. Plugged only the RAM back in
  4. Plugged only 1 RAM stick back in
  5. Tried the other RAM stick
  6. Tried the other RAM slots
  7. Removed waited 5 minutes and reinstalled CMOS battery
  8. Tried to reset CMOS using jumper
  9. Plugging in a speaker and getting no beeps

With research I seam to have killed my motherboard and/or my CPU. I am curious first if I am just an idiot and totally glanced over something. Second if any one has any ideas on why the motherboard is fried so I can avoid it again. I have the obvious ESD or when the liquid came out of the air can but I am curious is there is any other idea because I am not sold on those two being the culprit.

Side note one of the reasons for the upgrade in case and PSU and because when starting up Rocket League I the computer would crash sometimes on start up or sometimes starting game play. Checking Temperatures I was getting 80 C° and then the PSU is around 8 years old so I thought it might be failing.

A list of my computer parts if needed
CPU: i5-2500 3.30GHz (Not Over Clocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x8Gb
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Old PSU: Cool Master RS-600-PCAR-E3
New PSU: EVGA 120-GP-0850-X1

Lutfij

Titan
While I was cleaning the CPU area some of the liquid that comes out sometimes got on to the mother board and CPU but I immediately stopped and it evaporated quickly.
Are you working with an AIO or some sort of liquid on your board? :/

You may want to breadboard the system and see if you get any sign of life from the build. Try without the discrete GPU and see if the system powers up with the EVGA PSU, then with the CoolerMaster PSU.