[SOLVED] Computer powers on with no display and no Keyboard/mouse lights

Otorino

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hey guys, how are you today?
So recently I decided to finally upgrade my system and it has not been going as smoothly as it did the first time around in 2017. To start off these are the components I am using:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/xqzFZZ

My old set up has an Intel I5 7500 and an ASrock 250m Pro4 Motherboard, everything else in the same and it definitely works.

So as the title suggests my PC does turn on. All the fans spin and all the lights in the case turn on, but the screen doesn't receive any signal, The keyboard and mouse don't light up either. Sometimes during the boot my Keyboard's Numlock LED does light up but I can't turn it off.

The B550 motherboard does have a post status checker and it is telling me that the CPU and DRAM are fine. However the VGA and BOOT LED both light up which suggest they are the problem.

I've taken the Mobo to a PC shop to get the bios updated (don't have older Ryzen CPU), but that didn't change anything. I also tried unplugging and re plugging everything multiple times, tries putting in a different GPU (same model except 1070 version) and tried putting it in the bottom PCIe slot. I've also cleared the CMOS.

Are any of my components incompatible? Is there anything else you guys recommend I try before returning it? Also, is there a way to find out for sure wether CPU or the Motherboard is a problem.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Solution
When you swap out the motherboard in a system, you're advised to reinstall the OS on the platform. Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating on the board? Also, that PSU is incapable of powering a GTX1070, I'm not joking, you should be looking at(borrow or ask a shop to scope it out) a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal and see if your issue is resolved.

As for the system, I'd have gotten a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit or DDR4-3600MHz ram kit to pair with your AMD platform as opposed to recycling the ram from the older build and gotten a small capacity SSD to upgrade from the HDD that might also be failing.

Lutfij

Titan
When you swap out the motherboard in a system, you're advised to reinstall the OS on the platform. Which two slots are the sticks of ram populating on the board? Also, that PSU is incapable of powering a GTX1070, I'm not joking, you should be looking at(borrow or ask a shop to scope it out) a reliably built PSU that has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal and see if your issue is resolved.

As for the system, I'd have gotten a dual channel DDR4-3200MHz ram kit or DDR4-3600MHz ram kit to pair with your AMD platform as opposed to recycling the ram from the older build and gotten a small capacity SSD to upgrade from the HDD that might also be failing.

Solution

Otorino

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017

I only tried out 1070 once to make sure it's not just the GPU's fault, I'm still using 1060. I will be upgrading RAM and to an SSD (GPU and PSU too) but I decided to just do things one at a time in case things do go wrong. It's much easier for me this way.

The 5600x has the same TDP as I5 7500 so I didn't think it would be an issue for the power draw. I'll try seeing if the same PC shop will let me try out a bigger capacity PSU. Thank you for the suggestion