Computer Problem Please Help

soberrocks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Here's the problem. I built this computer about a year and a half ago. It worked fine at first. Then I flashed a new bios and it started rebooting in the middle of my games. I have been trying to fix it myself for about a year. Whenever I try to play a game it reboots in the middle of the game. I thought it was the ram so I got Corsair to replace it. It still freezes in the middle of a game. It still plays the music but the game freezes. I have all the newest drivers and the newest bios. I will send the person who solves this problem for me $20 dollars. I am willing to try almost anything, apart from buying a new computer. My specs are:

AMD Athlon 2100+
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Corsair 512MB PC2700
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
Pioneer 16X DVD Drive
Plextor 40/12/40 cd burner
Windows XP Pro

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
this is just a shot in the dark but try taking out your audigy card and using the onboard sound.. ive heard of people having probs with soundblaster and via combos...
thats the easiest fix (if it works) otherwise you want to look at your bios setting make sure you arent inadvertantly overclocking something.. maybe running the ram at timings it cant handle? what are your temps and what is your watts (psu)?

soberrocks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
My CPU temp is 56 degrees C, my system temp is 42 degrees C. I will try removing my sound card when I get home from work.

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
i would try going back to the old bios and reformating your hd both at the same time, don't install the sound card (just in case) or any other unnessesary drivers, instal a game and try running it,
but while instaling new os go into bios and check ram setting, go for auto or set them very lax, also check the speed of your processor, or even underclock it.

sorry I can't think of any specific problem but the above could work, if not.. then it's hardware,

by system temp do you mean mb? because that sounds high to me
p.s. if the above doesn't work, try borrowing a graphics card from a friend and try using that (or do this first, it's a little less work)

xeoph

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2003
Hey, I got a friend with the same problem only his board is a GA-7VA. I had the GA-7VAX it worked great for me, but I did have problems when I first bought that computer because of the fan the xp 2200 comes with. I had to buy a new fan (rated for 2800+). At first my computer did the same, restarting and such, so untill the fan I ordered got to my house I had it underclocked to 1.4GHz to bring the cpu down to 40C (was at high 60's).

For my friend shortly after he had this problem his fan went bad and he bought a new one and problems went away.

My reccomendations are to buy a new fan and underclock untill you get it, I have an audigy gamer and I had no problems with my via chipset and it together. I would underclock it untill you get it into the low 40's or high 30's, now if I remember correctly ~31 or 36C is room temp so you dont have to go that low.

I really hope this fixes your problem and if not be sure to e-mail me, Ill be glad to help!
xeoph@gmx.net

soberrocks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
It only freezes after playing games. I can do anything else on it and it won't freeze. I don't see how the processor could overheat that much after just a few seconds of playing.